Discussion AFK Pirates on ships is becoming a real problem.

Should captains be able to kick pirates off their ship outside of SvS?

• Yes

Votes: 72 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 28.0%

• Total voters
Back in POTCO when they added the Undead Poker to Rat's Nest for the Raven's Cove quest, the Disney developers made it so people could be healed while playing undead poker. If they had intended for you to die at the table every so many hands, they would have implemented a healing block of some kind... or even a TP block to the shack to prevent people having healers while trying to beat the undead at Tortuga Hold 'Em.

So, no it is not cheating to heal someone or use a second account to heal yourself while playing Undead Poker. I myself did it in POTCO and I did it in TLOPO for the Hallowed Woods quest.

But, if you truly feel that it's unethical for you to use that advantage, then by all means keep playing the Undead Poker how you play it.
Okay, I had to make a direct comment to this logic. First, the dev's created a poker challenge where you die every 2 hands if not successful, what's the logic saying they didn't intend for you to die. See your illogical 'logic'. There's no need to implement any 'block' because you're supposed to be challenged and DIE. Bringing in a second account to keep you from dying when there is no game function to do so could then be considered gaming the system, or cheat - No?

Let me share my insight on this as I've been the captain and the AFK'er as well.

People who go AFK don't bother me if certain circumstances has been met and are usually the reason I go AFK. These circumstances being the cannon to crew ratio. 2 days ago I went AFK on a War Galleon because every single cannon was taken on the favored side and there was no need to repair (at full health). I was also having to do research on one of the classes I have to take at base because I am Navy reserve. Being on a full ship while having to schedule classes was at the perfect time. Not sure about other players but I did check back every once in a while so see if a cannon was free or If everything was still full.

What I don't do or like is this, A ship is boarded and almost every cannon is available and someone goes AFK. Unless you have valid reason as in you're cooking and not trying to burn the house down or your siblings are starting an altercation that needs to be resolved, then don't join my ship and not contribute. I don't care that you forgot to shower or your favorite TV show just came on. If there's a cannon available, get on it and start shooting.

And no I don't think we should be able to kick outside of SVS because there will be captains that will kick everyone because they think its funny and now 30 minutes of someones time has been wasted. This in term may reduce player count due to frustration and unfairness

Fearless said:
Let me share my insight on this as I've been the captain and the AFK'er as well. /QUOTE]

[q]People who go AFK don't bother me if certain circumstances has been met and are usually the reason I go AFK. These circumstances being the cannon to crew ratio. 2 days ago I went AFK on a War Galleon because every single cannon was taken on the favored side and there was no need to repair (at full health). I was also having to do research on one of the classes I have to take at base because I am Navy reserve. Being on a full ship while having to schedule classes was at the perfect time. Not sure about other players but I did check back every once in a while so see if a cannon was free or If everything was still full.[/q]
TP off the ship immediatly, why stay on? No real justifiable reason since you can TP off and NOT be afk.

[q]What I don't do or like is this, A ship is boarded and almost every cannon is available and someone goes AFK. Unless you have valid reason as in you're cooking and not trying to burn the house down or your siblings are starting an altercation that needs to be resolved, then don't join my ship and not contribute. I don't care that you forgot to shower or your favorite TV show just came on. If there's a cannon available, get on it and start shooting.[/q]
This just contradicted what you just said.

[q]And no I don't think we should be able to kick outside of SVS because there will be captains that will kick everyone because they think its funny and now 30 minutes of someones time has been wasted. This in term may reduce player count due to frustration and unfairness[/q]
Abuse happens, and claiming abuse when we already deal with it is just an excuse.
Allowing kicking afk/sleepers would only benefit everyone in the game and impact the sleepers only, so they don't want that implemented. Obviously.

Okay, I had to make a direct comment to this logic. First, the dev's created a poker challenge where you die every 2 hands if not successful, what's the logic saying they didn't intend for you to die. See your illogical 'logic'. There's no need to implement any 'block' because you're supposed to be challenged and DIE. Bringing in a second account to keep you from dying when there is no game function to do so could then be considered gaming the system, or cheat - No?

No.

It doesn't take too many brain cells, common sense, and knowledge of the game and how the Undead Poker was played and allowed to be played when the POTCO Devs, Disney employees, created it and put it into the game to understand that this is not 'gaming the system'. The threat of death is very much intended. The possibility of death will happen to anyone who goes into that poker room alone. Keep in mind that this was put onto the POTCO test server before it was ever released in their Open server and was tested by all testers, including myself. So, it was reported to the Disney POTCO Developers when people figured out that a secondary pirate could heal during the Undead Poker, whether it was a secondary account or a friend doing it. And guess what?!! They allowed it.

Now, if you look at the history, the lore of this game, and the movies that it was based off of... well, hello...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlAYh5Oaho

I think Jack stated the point of the whole ideology of the gameplay itself and how the quests and lore of POTCO was intended to be. It's part of the game, ways to cheat death. They brought in potions to allow you to regnerate your health during battle, brought in the Revive to allow other players to revive you so you dont have to go to jail. And believe me, that was one thing we were super happy about when it came to the POTCO Test server!

The Disney POTCO developers generated ways for the player to gain an upper hand in the game. It WAS intended.

The only form of cheating that Disney POTCO disallowed was 3rd party programs, ie macros or clickers. TLOPO has adopted that same stance. It goes outside of the realm of this game.

Last edited:
"So, it was reported to the Disney POTCO Developers when people figured out that a secondary pirate could heal during the Undead Poker, whether it was a secondary account or a friend doing it. And guess what?!! They allowed it."

Aye, and we see the gamers logic clearly here. "Disney allowed it" What exactly did they allow? Disney allowed a FRIEND to heal you because it will be assumed to be a separate and legal account and friends are allowed to help friends (you heal in pve fights as well). But Disney didn't say it was acceptable to use your own second account, You, and other players using multi accounts assumed that because you wanted to do it. See what I'm saying here? Disney unfortunately didn't make it clear, or did they, we are only hearing it second hand from todays sources, that - "you can use a friend, but don't use any extra accounts you created, paid or not.
It's the old "well, they didn't say we couldn't do such and such so it must be okay" logic.

I'm saying Disney allowed the friend heal because it's a game feature but didn't bother beyond that to lay down any rules. It's been almost ten years, did Disney really allow people to play outside the box? I don't believe so, it just seems that way over the years. Did Disney think at the time, playing more than one account was such a small percentage it wasn't worth their time to get involved? After all, wasn't it a paid sub? If so, like Bliz, "hey if you pay for each account, we don't care too much how many you play, just don't cause a ruckus".

I have had these exact same dialogs with others on other games who claim practically the same things about the dev's allowing this and that and when on the rare occasion a bona fide developer stepped into the thread and corrected the multi account player they were mistaken and the multi person had misinterpreted what the Dev's had stated years before. Then that multi account person suddenly has no more arguments or reasoning about the subject and stops debating. I've been corrected plenty too.

Multi account playing in many cases is a victimless activity, but here in tlopo, there is a direct negative impact of someone using a multi account to afk a ship. We are NOT talking about single pirates afk'g for reality reasons. There's no sane reason to compare the two.

Last edited:
No.

It doesn't take too many brain cells, common sense, and knowledge of the game and how the Undead Poker was played and allowed to be played when the POTCO Devs, Disney employees, created it and put it into the game to understand that this is not 'gaming the system'. The threat of death is very much intended. The possibility of death will happen to anyone who goes into that poker room alone. Keep in mind that this was put onto the POTCO test server before it was ever released in their Open server and was tested by all testers, including myself. So, it was reported to the Disney POTCO Developers when people figured out that a secondary pirate could heal during the Undead Poker, whether it was a secondary account or a friend doing it. And guess what?!! They allowed it.

Now, if you look at the history, the lore of this game, and the movies that it was based off of... well, hello...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlAYh5Oaho

I think Jack stated the point of the whole ideology of the gameplay itself and how the quests and lore of POTCO was intended to be. It's part of the game, ways to cheat death. They brought in potions to allow you to regnerate your health during battle, brought in the Revive to allow other players to revive you so you dont have to go to jail. And believe me, that was one thing we were super happy about when it came to the POTCO Test server!

The Disney POTCO developers generated ways for the player to gain an upper hand in the game. It WAS intended.

The only form of cheating that Disney POTCO disallowed was 3rd party programs, ie macros or clickers. TLOPO has adopted that same stance. It goes outside of the realm of this game.

Are we seeing this eye to eye? I'm talking unemotional mechanics of game play and rules to follow so everyone can enjoy the experience.
You seem to be talking from a lore angle. That's almost cosmetic. Let me try this example.

You are level 10. You enter a room alone that's not a raid, and see a level 50 boss. No one expects you to beat that boss alone. What can you do? You get a bunch of guildmates or friends to go with you. Perfectly fine with everyone. You wait outside until you see a bunch of strangers enter the room and then enter and take a few wacks and hope not to get killed. You fought and scored a hit. Everyone is fine with this as well. You did nothing outside of game rules or questionable.

Now, this, you enter the room with your level 10, bringing in 5 level 50 of your other mains from at least 5 of your other accounts and you defeat the boss.
Did you effect anyone else directly? No. Did you just gain advantage with multi accounts that the game wouldn't have allowed you to do otherwise? Yes. Just because you didn't directly effect others doesn't make it right to do so. Oh and the argument of "What does it matter if it's 6 of me or 6 guildmates?" doesn't hold water because without your accounts you would have had to interact with other people, use strategy, use resources that you would have to be wise to utilize. The whole game experience you forfeit when multi. Multi accounts is even more destructive when going against other players, but that's another issue entirely.

Did you technically game the game for your own benefit?

...Yes.

for
your
own
benefit.
Do you see community, camaraderie or even productivity?
One can play this game alone, but at some point one still has to interact with people.

If that's fine with the player, I don't care. But don't try to justify giving yourself an advantage that isn't part of the game design. And people ought not say developers are okay with something just because the developers didn't say they weren't okay with something.

All I ask is that tlopo gives a player the OPTION to kick afk on their OWN ships. We're not even touching on the abuse that goes on in this game as well as other games.

The whole thing for me boils down to: Developers get involved in this issue, and give us an OPTION to kick. We'll just have to deal with whatever perceived abuse happens down the road.

Last edited:
[q]What I don't do or like is this, A ship is boarded and almost every cannon is available and someone goes AFK. Unless you have valid reason as in you're cooking and not trying to burn the house down or your siblings are starting an altercation that needs to be resolved, then don't join my ship and not contribute. I don't care that you forgot to shower or your favorite TV show just came on. If there's a cannon available, get on it and start shooting.[/q]
This just contradicted what you just said

No, it really didn't... Fearless said:
2 days ago I went AFK on a War Galleon because every single cannon was taken on the favored side and there was no need to repair (at full health).

That means that there were no cannons on the side that the Captain favored AND there was no repairs needed... Totally different from:
A ship is boarded and almost every cannon is available and someone goes AFK.

I do not condone afk people on a ship, but I completely understand it if the captain chooses one side and there are no repairs, as long as you are not AFK on a cannon or AFK on a repair spot...

EDIT: The only times I go afk is if my guild calls an AFK loot run. I have never gone afk without a reason for more than 5 minutes. And I happily give up my cannon.

Now, this, you enter the room with your level 10, bringing in 5 level 50 of your other mains from at least 5 of your other accounts and you defeat the boss.
Did you effect anyone else directly? No. Did you just gain advantage with multi accounts that the game wouldn't have allowed you to do otherwise? Yes. Just because you didn't directly effect others doesn't make it right to do so. Did you technically game the game for your own benefit?

It's unreasonable to say "at least 5 of your other accounts"... It would be very difficult to control all 5 at once, and if someone has that talent, please teach me. And if it's a boss on a quiet server with nobody around, there is no problem with it! You aren't hurting anyone, you aren't breaking the TOS, and you certainly are not cheating.

Conversely, if it's a busy area, I do see a problem with it, but it's a moral issue, not a game issue...

No, it really didn't... Fearless said:

That means that there were no cannons on the side that the Captain favored AND there was no repairs needed... Totally different from:

I do not condone afk people on a ship, but I completely understand it if the captain chooses one side and there are no repairs, as long as you are not AFK on a cannon or AFK on a repair spot...

EDIT: The only times I go afk is if my guild calls an AFK loot run. I have never gone afk without a reason for more than 5 minutes. And I happily give up my cannon.
Wow, learn something new every day here. Are you sure you all want to go down this afk usage road? Are you now saying that it's normal to have a ship full of afk pirates on a loot run? Well, if a guild has this, so be it. It's not a factor in my game play. This thread was started about 'public' ship afk players.

Again the side a capt chooses is irrelevant in the bigger battle. You jump on a public ship, and you have the mindset that just because half the cannons are full and no repairs, you can't get on another cannon and pull ships in from the less used side?

Regardless, Jumping on a random ship with one side full and no repairs and you have nothing to do so you just go AFK? Get off his/her ship! TP back to wherever you came from. Your useless butt isn't doing a thing for that capt or crew.
I'm sitting on the bench, or standing by my goalie while the other 4 guys on my hockey team are skating and that's okay? I'll get the trophy too?

What baloney.

Wow, learn something new every day here. Are you sure you all want to go down this afk usage road? Are you now saying that it's normal to have a ship full of afk pirates on a loot run? Well, if a guild has this, so be it. It's not a factor in my game play. This thread was started about 'public' ship afk players.

Again the side a capt chooses is irrelevant in the bigger battle. You jump on a public ship, and you have the mindset that just because half the cannons are full and no repairs, you can't get on another cannon and pull ships in from the less used side?

Regardless, Jumping on a random ship with one side full and no repairs and you have nothing to do so you just go AFK? Get off his/her ship! TP back to wherever you came from. Your useless butt isn't doing a thing for that capt or crew.
I'm sitting on the bench, or standing by my goalie while the other 4 guys on my hockey team are skating and that's okay? I'll get the trophy too?

What baloney.

Yeah, I will go down that road... and I would like to ask you how you were hurt by an AFK player on your ship, for you to get this vile?

And also, I posted that my guild has it in an EDIT because there'd surely be people saying "Oh, another afker..."

Now please explain why you are so venomous about this subject, as your attitude is unwarranted at its current state.

EDIT: Editing my misc. grammar issues.

It's unreasonable to say "at least 5 of your other accounts"... It would be very difficult to control all 5 at once, and if someone has that talent, please teach me. And if it's a boss on a quiet server with nobody around, there is no problem with it! You aren't hurting anyone, you aren't breaking the TOS, and you certainly are not cheating.

Conversely, if it's a busy area, I do see a problem with it, but it's a moral issue, not a game issue...
It's not a moral issue. Not even close. It's a game issue.
And in this debate, I have nothing to defend with this topic. One side is creating a advantage that isn't designed into a game and the other side is calling it out. The advantage player always has to defend their position when doing things outside the box no matter how right they think they are.

Again, we are not talking about figuring out another path to location. Or using in game people to assist you. Outside the box is using added accounts or software that would give one more than they alone in the game would have at any time.

As I see with multi accounts, to me people either don't want to take the time to accomplish what everyone else works to accomplish or just gives up trying to beat the game and chooses this way to do it. It's not all that complicated. You either play with the game or around it.

"So, it was reported to the Disney POTCO Developers when people figured out that a secondary pirate could heal during the Undead Poker, whether it was a secondary account or a friend doing it. And guess what?!! They allowed it."

Aye, and we see the gamers logic clearly here. "Disney allowed it" What exactly did they allow? Disney allowed a FRIEND to heal you because it will be assumed to be a separate and legal account and friends are allowed to help friends (you heal in pve fights as well). But Disney didn't say it was acceptable to use your own second account, You, and other players using multi accounts assumed that because you wanted to do it. See what I'm saying here? Disney unfortunately didn't make it clear, or did they, we are only hearing it second hand from todays sources, that - "you can use a friend, but don't use any extra accounts you created, paid or not.
It's the old "well, they didn't say we couldn't do such and such so it must be okay" logic.

I'm saying Disney allowed the friend heal because it's a game feature but didn't bother beyond that to lay down any rules. It's been almost ten years, did Disney really allow people to play outside the box? I don't believe so, it just seems that way over the years. Did Disney think at the time, playing more than one account was such a small percentage it wasn't worth their time to get involved? After all, wasn't it a paid sub? If so, like Bliz, "hey if you pay for each account, we don't care too much how many you play, just don't cause a ruckus".

I have had these exact same dialogs with others on other games who claim practically the same things about the dev's allowing this and that and when on the rare occasion a bona fide developer stepped into the thread and corrected the multi account player they were mistaken and the multi person had misinterpreted what the Dev's had stated years before. Then that multi account person suddenly has no more arguments or reasoning about the subject and stops debating. I've been corrected plenty too.

Multi account playing in many cases is a victimless activity, but here in tlopo, there is a direct negative impact of someone using a multi account to afk a ship. We are NOT talking about single pirates afk'g for reality reasons. There's no sane reason to compare the two.

I'm sorry but you need to read my statement again:

No.
So, it was reported to the Disney POTCO Developers when people figured out that a secondary pirate could heal during the Undead Poker, whether it was a secondary account or a friend doing it. And guess what?!! They allowed it.

They also knew that people had multiple accounts and allowed that as well. If you think for one moment that they did not record IP addresses on accounts and didn't see that multiple accounts were owned by a single player, then you are very mistaken. IN FACT there was once a feature that Disney had where you could link the multiple accounts. When you would log in and get to the pirate selection page, you could choose which account's pirates you wanted to play. So Disney POTCO very much knew and allowed multiple accounts per user. However, you would not be able to log into the a single account on multiple computers. So, even though the accounts were linked, you could only play 1 pirate on each account at a time.

Outside the box is using added accounts or software that would give one more than they alone in the game would have at any time.
Granted. However, the things gained would be different per account... and since there is no trading, I do not see why this even a debate... I do have an issue with multi-accounts on ships, but on land, I could care less.

You either play with the game or around it.
Very black-or-white thinking... is there no grey thinking? What about those who lend those accounts to friends and are leveling up their characters because they think it'd be nice to do for their friends?

You can say that the friends are lazy, but who cares?
It's a game with no player economy... (yet)... The only "Unfair" outcome would be an "Unfairness" in pvp... There are many servers for one to head to if they think the looting area is unfair.

Yeah, I will go down that road... and I would like to ask you how you were hurt by an AFK player on your ship, for you to get this vile?

And also, I posted that my guild has it in an EDIT because there'd surely be people saying "Oh, another afker..."

Now please explain why you are so venomous about this subject, as your attitude is unwarranted at its current state.

EDIT: Editing my misc. grammar issues.
Don't worry about the grammar issue, I know what you mean.
Don't start with the venomous and vile defense attacks against me, I've made no such attacks. So stop now with that redirect.
I started into this thread with only the ship afk example. How was I directly effected? By not recognizing what was fully involved when I had my ship open to the public and had 3 or more pirates asleep. I had to jump off the brig and repair myself and didn't understand why they were all standing around. I got sunk almost every time I saw this.

I know now whats going on. And it's wrong and I want the option to kick these parasites <-- yes that's what they are, nothing personal, they're just bots, nobodies who even know who I am nor care. AFK's on a public ship are almost always mooching. Others actually communicate.

Don't start with the venomous and vile defense attacks against me, I've made no such attacks.
parasites <-- yes that's what they are, nothing personal, they're just bots, nobodies who even know who I am nor care.

So name calling is not a venomous attack. Calling people parasites, bots, and nobodies is quite venomous. You're degrading another... for what? Being afk? Yes, they are leeching, but that still does not warrant being degraded.

By not recognizing what was fully involved when I had my ship open to the public
Not really our fault... There have been a myriad of posts about this, and you probably have seen this on multiple ships... Can't blame others for your lack of readiness...

I think I will stop posting on this thread, because there is no reason for this negativity, and honestly, if you don't like afkers on your ship, join a large guild or have friends join you. A public ship means it's open to everyone, and because it is open to everyone, you will get all kinds of people on board.

Ok, we all need to calm down.

I've tried to explain why and how I know that multi accounts were allowed by Disney and are allowed by TLOPO. So, I'm just gonna type this as basic as I can...

Multiple accounts are allowed by TLOPO, but only 1 per email address.
The only cheating not allowed by TLOPO is use of 3rd party programs, ie macros and clickers.

Now, as far as the booting on regular ships... TLOPO hasnt added and not sure IF/WHEN it will be added. It's a double edged sword... allow it so players can kick those who are 'leeching/mooching' and not contributing, which would then give the trolls and jerks who play the opportunity to treat people wrong and boot them for 'the fun of it'. That is the whole dilemma with that issue, cause we all know pretty darn well that the trolls and jerks will kick cause they like to irritate people and treat them wrong.

Ultimately, people need to decide how they are going to deal with this issue themselves until there comes a time when TLOPO does decide to answer the question of allowing people to kick anyone off their ship outside of SvS.

@squintz, you clearly see gaming in a different way than anyone else and that is fine, especially when it comes to this game. You keep playing your way and everyone else will keep playing their way. I do advise learning the history behind this game and how things were developed and added into POTCO Test and Open. Might help you to understand the game better and see how POTCO intended for this game to be more friendly to the user than most games you apparently play.

Not really our fault... There have been a myriad of posts about this, and you probably have seen this on multiple ships... Can't blame others for your lack of readiness...
I was new then and stopped doing public ships just for that reason. It certainly effected my game pleasure and experience.

So name calling is not a venomous attack. Calling people parasites, bots, and nobodies is quite venomous. You're degrading another... for what? Being afk? Yes, they are leeching, but that still does not warrant being degraded.
What? Calling people leeches is okay and calling them what they are is not?
The multi people aren't being clear here. "You're degrading another... for what? Being afk?" Being AFK? But people doing afk purposly are not just 'being' afk by accident. Big difference.

Again please refrain from introducing 'attacks' that aren't there in an attempt to bolster an debate. Redirecting a thread usually shows one has no sound defense to continue.

Calling people leeches is okay and calling them what they are is not?

When did I call them leeches...? I said that they were leeching... There is a difference between name-calling (EX:You're a leech!) and calling out an action (EX: You're leeching!)... And
Again please refrain from introducing 'attacks' that aren't there in an attempt to bolster an debate.

I introduced nothing... and I am attempting nothing other than "calling you out" on your attitude...

squintz, you clearly see gaming in a different way than anyone else and that is fine, especially when it comes to this game. You keep playing your way and everyone else will keep playing their way. I do advise learning the history behind this game and how things were developed and added into POTCO Test and Open. Might help you to understand the game better and see how POTCO intended for this game to be more friendly to the user than most games you apparently play.
That's very true, we all play the way we want to within reason. Within the game guidelines that hopefully allows all a sense of enjoyment without having to worry too much about cheating and the like.

Supposedly there's 10,000 active pirates on tlopo, and the game owners have to try and keep everyone happy and I get this.
tlopo will never stop multi accounts no matter fair or not. That's not even at issue here. I don't care how others play or how many accounts they have. All I've ever said is the game should give an owner of a ship in PVE the right to kick sleepers, this is simply a no brainer. Whether there are trolls or not, it actually doesn't matter because they are likely in the minority.

People taking this personal only seem to be people who utilize multiple accounts.

There's always been a sort of two sides to game development and that's roughly the story/lore side which is artistic and everything that tries to draw people in and being a part of a game world of wanting to be there and a sense of 'being there' to keep playing. And the mechanical/software side that runs the base game on servers, from the ground up from isp-server client to how the cannon moves so all people can start with the same basic structure to successfully play in game.

How one blends those sides is the magic, but I'm discussing game mechanics themselves and how they effect the bigger world of the game.
Sometimes the lore isn't what the issue is about and can get the points confused.

Using a game mechanic to backend a game that wasn't intended to be that way is what we were discussing. If it devolved into calling names I'm sorry for that. But I don't retract anything I've stated.

Sorry.

Back