Content Spotlight Discussion: Trading

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's because people want their weapons to be a reflection of the time they've spent looting for them, not how skilled of a haggler they are or how rich their generous guildmates are. Or worse, how much real money they're willing to pour into behind-the-scenes transactions.
The flaw with that sentiment is an individuals effort has no bearing whatsoever on the game play itself within the community, except as frivolous bragging rights bearing no reward except personal feelings and being a total personal self generated side game, personal gain sentiment should not be a deciding factor.
And the real money behind the scenes is a scare tactic remark as nothing in tlopo warrants paying for outside of the game. It's not fortnight.

After reading your post, I understand that the changes will in fact be going through, but now that I've had a chance to read what some of the ideas the team has discussed, I can better share what I feel and how I personally think this should be worked moving forward. I'll start with quest items.

Quest Items should be tradable because the system will have too hard of a time differentiating what would be a quest item and what wouldn't be, making it difficult for players to trade with each other something that could be used for just every day use just because it has ties to a quest. However, a way around this is to mark items that are traded so that they will not count towards a quest and people can be able to use the items that they receive normally besides the questing aspect.

Disabling Trading on your own pirate is good for those who would rather not receive any trade requests because honestly, no one likes being spammed with those kinds of requests, you could receive a hundred a day if that weren't the case. But I've noticed that quite a few people have come up with the statement of trading items (even Legendaries) to your own account's pirates wouldn't be an issue because "(Player) specifically put the hours in to receive Legendaries and other good items". Personally, I like the thought of this but it could use some tweaking, like (Pirate must make it to * [Skill] Level before receiving items from any class {Sword, Gun, Voodoo Doll, etc.}) And that just brings me to my next point.

(Raven's Cove Quest) To trade for a cursed item. I do like this idea, as this quest only becomes available at Level 30, which most pirates at that point have nearly maxed or maxed a certain skill. When I think about this idea, my opinion is that lower level players should only be able to trade lower level items, and that higher level players should be able to trade whatever they want, similar to an unlock system (with the exception of Cursed Famed and Legendaries). Famed and Legendaries should only be tradable between other Famed or other Legendaries of EQUAL value, so that no one is losing out, possibly creating a new class system for legendaries that only certain legendaries can be traded for certain legendaries (similar to a bronze, silver, gold) system based on power, rarity, and usability of the item.

Anyone can feel free to comment and tweak upon what I stated, as this is an open discussion and I'd love to read more about what other Pirates believe should be changed or tested upon, as even though many of us have argued on this post, we're all still working to keep this game alive whether as creators, testers, or players. Don't hesitate to put up new suggestions for the system, that's what the forum is about!

Sorry to reply to myself, but I forgot one point that I wanted to make and that point is another way things that could be done is perhaps less of a regular trading way, and more of a classic pirate gambling system. I know that there are a lot of things about pirates that people love, but another thing could be if you can gamble items the same way you do poker, like a separate building on Raven's Cove or even the new upcoming island that you need certain requirements for, but you can "Trade" items, but you have to play others for it and win, sure it's not the most well thought out system, but it's something that could be thought about.

Hey everyone!

Please use this thread to make replies to today's Content Spotlight. We appreciate everyone's feedback, suggestions, and comments.

Thanks and we hope you enjoy!
Great, and very pleased this WILL be implemented.
My opinion has always been, EVERYTHING is a open trade item. Let the players and market define the value. Every single person has their reasons for trading or buying something and it's not up to a minority who foster individual gain and effort as some sort of god given parameter to assign value. That's just their personal views because they grew up equating grinding as a legitimate indicator of value. It's not. In any game on the planet do they do that.

Trading should be unencumbered with rules of pre conceived values. And forcing the dev's to come up with value in trade will never work.
Ever single game I've played that had trade was solidly accepted and thrives.

And give the dev's credit for being able to contain what minuscule attempts at skullduggery that could happen with a trade system.

No value limits or item limits ever.
Can trade any item for any other item.
A two or three step affirmation process for trading.
The dev idea to use player cards and item cards in a solid foundation to start with.
Trading will begat inventory control which will begat more storage space for pirates which will begat banks and maybe guild banks. This is a great step forward and I can see the growth progress this can become.

Trading will open real Caribbean commerce on the seas and realistically include vendors in bartering perhaps.

A great huge leap for tlopo and a long time coming to the remake. Bravo.

To limit trading in any way will stunt it from the start. To limit trading because people feel threatened or hurt because their sweat equity isn't a bragging point because of trading should also not be considered.

Last edited:
Sorry to reply to myself, but I forgot one point that I wanted to make and that point is another way things that could be done is perhaps less of a regular trading way, and more of a classic pirate gambling system. I know that there are a lot of things about pirates that people love, but another thing could be if you can gamble items the same way you do poker, like a separate building on Raven's Cove or even the new upcoming island that you need certain requirements for, but you can "Trade" items, but you have to play others for it and win, sure it's not the most well thought out system, but it's something that could be thought about.
This sounds like encompassing an Auction type feature as well. But gambling can certainly be entertained as yet another way to move items.
And again, as far as not dumping the responsibility on the devs to make hourly decisions and such, if a pirate gambles in your concept, it is non refundable and non disputable. Maybe signing a players card you will commit to the gamble with no recourse?

This sounds like encompassing an Auction type feature as well. But gambling can certainly be entertained as yet another way to move items.
And again, as far as not dumping the responsibility on the devs to make hourly decisions and such, if a pirate gambles in your concept, it is non refundable and non disputable. Maybe signing a players card you will commit to the gamble with no recourse?

I do like the way those ideas are entertained, would love to hear more from everyone in the community :D

What about the high chance of someone finding out a way to do trade duplication glitches which would make legendaries worthless
What's worthless Arris? Worthless because you spent hours looting for it? And now one can buy one from another for a zillion gold?
How does this effect an unlimited amount of legendary in the game in the first place.
There exists no metric in tlopo games rules that define what a persons personal effort rates as monetary value. None. The weapon cards has a listed value, to trade would add perceived value if only another accepts. One does not get time spent coins for 10 hours looting a boss so telling someone else they don't deserve to buy something because of another's time spent isn't fair either and personal gain shouldn't dictate to the greater community what value is.
Open Trading with no limits will succeed and if no one likes the price, it won't sell. It's that simple.

You can debate if trading should be implemented or not but it will be happening. We are mainly looking for feedback on how trading should take shape, not whether it should be in the game or not.

These are some of the ideas the team has discussed in the past:
1. Eye for an eye- you can only trade a legendary in exchange for another legendary item.
2. Legendaries won't be tradeable.
3. To trade for a cursed item, you must have completed the Raven's Cove Story Quest.
4. Quest items are off limits.
5. You can disable trading on your account page to avoid getting spammed with requests.

Let us know what you think of these and please send any suggestions you have!

Remember, trading will be heavily tested on a public testing server (that many players will have access to) prior to being implemented on the public server.

Wouldn't it be possible to create 2 different types of pirates and 2 different servers?
Like save the current game and dont add trading and then make a new server that people start from lv 1 in where trading will be enabled.

I think we should only be allowed to trade clothing items due to the amount of time some people have put into looting for legendaries and still are looting for them and then have someone just trade for a legendary without even looting for it would be unfair to those who have looted.
I understand your point. However, it's not about your personal time spent looting something should make what YOU loot more valuable that any other of same item. Bragging rights are bragging rights and are non game personal issues. Just because people stand around on the docks and brag about what they're doing doesn't make it a designed integral game needed function for all.

Everyone has reasons for playing and put valuations on what they do but insisting that personal effort should be a metrict of value and then that should decide legendary value is not for the greater gaming community. Trading is coming, all the dev's are doing at this point is coming up with the mechanics for it to function.
Easiest for the devs is to let trading have free rein and see where it goes.

Wouldn't it be possible to create 2 different types of pirates and 2 different servers?
Like save the current game and dont add trading and then make a new server that people start from lv 1 in where trading will be enabled.

While that is a good thought, the problem is creating the multiple servers, it's going to require more work, it's going to have a cost, and many people would have an issue starting again from the bottom

You can debate if trading should be implemented or not but it will be happening. We are mainly looking for feedback on how trading should take shape, not whether it should be in the game or not.

These are some of the ideas the team has discussed in the past:
1. Eye for an eye- you can only trade a legendary in exchange for another legendary item.
2. Legendaries won't be tradeable.
3. To trade for a cursed item, you must have completed the Raven's Cove Story Quest.
4. Quest items are off limits.
5. You can disable trading on your account page to avoid getting spammed with requests.

Let us know what you think of these and please send any suggestions you have!

Remember, trading will be heavily tested on a public testing server (that many players will have access to) prior to being implemented on the public server.
No eye for an eye. All items can be bartered. To not do so will cripple the economy that trade will develop.

Agree, quest items probably should not be traded, as questing is also the way to educate players on the game itself as well.
Also agree on certain items may have quest accomplishments to them before they can trade.

Legendaries can be traded for ANYTHING. You want to trade a ship for a legendary if you think it's that valuable? Yes, maybe ships can be traded, like ships up to only a certain level, perhaps mid upgrade level.

Totally agree to allow people to disable trading if they please.

Trade should get it's own trade chat channel so pirates can barter amongst themselves and to click the name invokes the cards.
WTS chat messages should do the trick.

OK, a cool idea would be to make all traded weapons bright pink, with a coin above them indicating they are traded items.
Of course, my PayPal account is Crush@PayPal.com, just to make it easy for people to pay me, erm, send me cash with the "friends/family" option... (no, that's not a real PayPal account)

How about just like... don’t? Your game’s most avid players have been begging you to not make this mistake for years.

Personally, I’m really not interested in playing a version of this game with trading in it. I’m sure plenty of others will enjoy the economic element of the feature, but for me, the point of looting is that you can’t haggle your way to the top and your success is solely the product of your own hard work.

Needless to say, i’m very disappointed and unexcited for this game’s future.
Mr. Teague has posted this thread is about how to impliment trading, NOT arguing against it. There are other threads for that.

Also, I like the idea of having a sort of auction, where people offer goods and gold for weapons, and the entire community has a crack at the traded items.
The owner can accept or reject offers of course, but at least it opens up opportunities for both trader and tradee.

Feel free to hear my thoughts below in the video, many looters appear to agree. Hear a looter's perspective on the topic before you give the "Okay" to trading.
Wrong thread, this thread for discussing how to set up the mechanics. Trading is a done deal. Sorry.

Trading between pirates would be quite fair since the person who worked for those items is you.
Agreed.
That wouldn't be trading at all. That would be just an ability to transfer item within your accounts like ALL mmo have now. Some do it through a mail option. Trading is happening, but it's a world trading system.

BTW, I usually land a few hundred bucks a week/month on Steam trading goods/wares/weapons/etc, so I'm really not against trading.
I Make a few dollars here and there on some other games too, so it is a lucrative aspect of pretty much most games out there.
Whatever the Devs decide as to how to implement trading, I stand to make more money, so
YEEHAA!!!

EDIT - I also play other player's accounts on Steam, for $25 for a 2 hour session, just in case anyone needs the boost.

Also, ships should definitely be a major aspect of trading.
I can get any ship a player wants in 3 to 5 days, at level 6, fully maxed, etc.
I'll be taking orders once trading is implemented, no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back