Weapons Legendaries are too hard to get.

Should Legendaries be easier to get?

• Total voters
I've seen this argument time and time again and I feel the need to publicly refute it: time is money. Even if it is just a game, people pour a lot of hours into setting a goal and working for it. When it just ends in either repeats or nothing whatsoever while people who try far less than you excel, it just begs of the question of if playing the game is really worth the time you put into it, and having that question repeatedly trouble players isn't very good for the game itself.
Yeah, you’re right. And I completely understand. But even so...are people stepping back enough to understand too the particular “time-stamp” or moment they are seeking out these requests? In other words, is BETA actually a good time for such requests to be made?

What I do find surprising ALL OVER THE FORUMS are pirates feeling/expressing themselves openly as if TLOPO had just skipped this BETA phase altogether and has since been live already for like 150 years! I mean...come on people! Wake up, please, and realize the bigger picture.

In my humble opinion, if pirates admit now they are growing bored...GOD help us (simply because there is actually ‘need for testing’ and so much more we can all individually do). Am I wrong in actually saying and believing this?

What I do find surprising ALL OVER THE FORUMS are pirates feeling/expressing themselves openly as if TLOPO had just skipped this BETA phase altogether and has since been live already for like 150 years! I mean...come on people! Wake up, please, and realize the bigger picture.
I think it may be due to the fact that the game has already been in beta for over 2 years, and in the state that the game is in it could very well be in beta for another 12-16 months. Pair that with the fact that people are getting bored of the game and the mini anti-looter "movement" going on in this community and you have yourself a conundrum. The community is in even more of a difficult spot than the game itself imho

I think it may be due to the fact that the game has already been in beta for over 2 years, and in the state that the game is in it could very well be in beta for another 12-16 months. Pair that with the fact that people are getting bored of the game and the mini anti-looter "movement" going on in this community and you have yourself a conundrum. The community is in even more of a difficult spot than the game itself imho
More legendaries then will only passive the boredom, not resolve it.

While I can relate to time constraints/the fact the player-base has actually aged, rare is the pirate whom chose to agree to play a remake of POTCO strictly just to acquire a legendary. (My guess is, there were far ‘better’ reasons made initially for someone to play).

Perhaps people should be reminded of those (initial) reasons. ;)

While I can relate to time constraints/the fact the player-base has actually aged, rare is the pirate whom chose to agree to play a remake of POTCO strictly just to acquire a legendary. (My guess is, there were far ‘better’ reasons made initially for someone to play).

Oh yeah no I get that.
But making legendaries easier to find would likely decrease the longevity of the game rather than increasing it.
Legendaries should be left alone and kept as close to the original game as possible. Devs should focus on fixing bugs, optimizing the game, and implementing every feature potco had but tlopo doesnt. And after that they should work on new content.

HOO-RAH !!

I think POTCO had the RNG set high so you'd be forced to grind for months on end which kept you paying 10 dollars a month, or 60 dollars a year making profit off of your grinding hours. This is a remake of the original game and cannot be charged. So long story short, I personally think that it's pointless to have the RNG set to such an absurd number if there is no profit gained from this game. In all of 2018, I've only found 2 legendary and have been on the grind every single evening as well as most weekends with nothing to show for it. With the hollowed woods update I was grinding 24/7 and still... NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT and have to wait a year to probably get NOTHING. It definitely needs adjusting. Just throwing my 2 cents out there.
Now that you put it that way, it would seem pretty obvious to make the rng ridiculously high so as to keep you paying for the sub. For now, with no trading, or other loot commerce, the high rng in tlopo just seems like an empty drag for players. We are beta testing, yes, but it's hard to ignore a high rng which may be almost abusive in the percentage. Perhaps there's not enough demand on developers to change this or even if there is anyone available to actually investigate the high rng issue.

Now that you put it that way, it would seem pretty obvious to make the rng ridiculously high so as to keep you paying for the sub. For now, with no trading, or other loot commerce, the high rng in tlopo just seems like an empty drag for players. We are beta testing, yes, but it's hard to ignore a high rng which may be almost abusive in the percentage. Perhaps there's not enough demand on developers to change this or even if there is anyone available to actually investigate the high rng issue.
Fortunately the rng to get legendaries is a lot better than it was in the original game. Still, it hasn't helped me yet but oh well. I do think legendaries and the way to acquire them shouldn't be made easier any further really.

Undoubtedly correct. I like the term "abusive" because that's how Disney made the money. There were 7 legendary, and it took a year to find 1 or 2. So they strategized the amount of time to last until endgame to keep people paying. Now that the game is not dependent on profit coming in from the community, it's disheartening to spend the Disney cost strategy time. It needs to be reduced to a number where they still take time to get and are considered just as rare, just not so rare that it takes a year to find 1 or 2 legends. Perhaps even something similar to the winter update where you collect an absurd amount of material to purchase them from a vendor that appears once a month or week like Xur from destiny. I don't have much else to say on this topic though as there are more bugs and glitches and overall gameplay smoothness i'd like to see fixed in the future by our wonderful hardworking developers. I can't complain too much at all with the outstanding work that's been done.

Thanks,

Undoubtedly correct. I like the term "abusive" because that's how Disney made the money. There were 7 legendary, and it took a year to find 1 or 2. So they strategized the amount of time to last until endgame to keep people paying. Now that the game is not dependent on profit coming in from the community, it's disheartening to spend the Disney cost strategy time. It needs to be reduced to a number where they still take time to get and are considered just as rare, just not so rare that it takes a year to find 1 or 2 legends. Perhaps even something similar to the winter update where you collect an absurd amount of material to purchase them from a vendor that appears once a month or week like Xur from destiny. I don't have much else to say on this topic though as there are more bugs and glitches and overall gameplay smoothness i'd like to see fixed in the future by our wonderful hardworking developers. I can't complain too much at all with the outstanding work that's been done.

Thanks,
You must have some rotten luck my friend

Thanks,
If I were to step off my beta soapbox and comment outside the box. I would say from a player standpoint the rng is unfairly high for a free game and as a player, assuming the developers are busy enough already, there may not be any initiative to study the high rng issue and that no one wants to spend any time looking at the code and work at changing it and creating more work for themselves. Couple of reasons for not looking at rng levels could be disney has locks on some of that code for some odd reason, or no one wants to bother with the work.

Because looking at it disney monetizing wise and tlopo has no income to induce, makes a tlopo high rng kind of spacious in it's continuum.
At this point I don't recall too much on the forums in almost 2 years directly breaching the topic of rng itself.

I don't see it as a developers way to keep people beta testing as people will still come and play and beta test, but who knows. Maybe they think so.

If I were to step off my beta soapbox and comment outside the box. I would say from a player standpoint the rng is unfairly high for a free game and as a player, assuming the developers are busy enough already, there may not be any initiative to study the high rng issue and that no one wants to spend any time looking at the code and work at changing it and creating more work for themselves. Couple of reasons for not looking at rng levels could be disney has locks on some of that code for some odd reason, or no one wants to bother with the work.

Because looking at it disney monetizing wise and tlopo has no income to induce, makes a tlopo high rng kind of spacious in it's continuum.
At this point I don't recall too much on the forums in almost 2 years directly breaching the topic of rng itself.

I don't see it as a developers way to keep people beta testing as people will still come and play and beta test, but who knows. Maybe they think so.
I personally don't see any issue, and I don't believe its really a pressing matter in this community. Legendaries are the only real endgame tlopo has currently

Here is my observation on looting in TLOPO:
Raven's cove loot drastically diminishes after you reach lvl 45 (or around there). In potco, it was not like that. My lvl 50 pirate Eve in potco had almost every legendary and I only looted south idol. ( Though in potco I had the hardest time just getting a corset lol) Now you barely see anyone of high lvl looting there anymore. That shows the loot table has change, imo, not for the better.

While I dont think legendaries should be easy to get, I do, however, believe that the devs went too high on the random number (or w.e it is called) in TLOPO. It needs to be lower a bit. As many good points have been made why this would be a benefit , such as:

1) We do not pay to play. Disney had a reason for it to be high (which still wasnt as high as it is now), and that is longer you play to get a desired item the more you will pay for a sub. (most mmorpg games that you play do this)
2) The TLOPO, for the most part is now mostly young adults. Time constraints are now an issue for most of the community. This why only a few can receive the better loot because they have the luxury of being able to spend a lot of time playing. With over weight being an issue in U.S., why not this be incentive to lower a bit more so people can (hopefully) not feel like they have to sit and play for hours to get the one thing they want. (I am not like this, as I only play when absolutely bored, but there are those that do.)
3) There is WAY to much ego going around for the excuse of BRAGGING RIGHTS to even be a point to keep it high. That is how drama gets started. Most of you want this community to be "sunshine and rainbows" but that isnt going to happen. You already have the toxic jump pvp group, do they need another reason to be jerks to others? No offense, as it isnt to all.

I notice also that it isnt just with legendaries. The requirement set to get Striker is absolutely absurd. If you want it to be so high, then let them drop more often, or dont put a time limited on how long they will be able to be obtain. Truth is a some of ppl are getting annoyed with how somethings like those mention above are done. It is like they only want to support those with nothing better to do then play extreme amount of hours in a game. Maybe instead of more weapons being added, we can something else to do end-game besides loot or go on endless mat runs for tiny bit of mats each run, which is annoying, imo, too.

By no means should anyone be guarantee a legendary at lvl 50, nor should it be set really low. There needs to be a balance found, and rn it is honestly to high. Also the lack of lvl 50 pirates walking away with these new swords, while lower lvls seem to almost have it a guarantee, it another example of how loot is off balance.

Also we desperately need a sailing loot fix, lol.

You must have some rotten luck my friend
As if it's just him? Apparently the majority of players in this game have bad luck. What an interesting paradox.
Here is my observation on looting in TLOPO:
Raven's cove loot drastically diminishes after you reach lvl 45 (or around there). In potco, it was not like that. My lvl 50 pirate Eve in potco had almost every legendary and I only looted south idol. ( Though in potco I had the hardest time just getting a corset lol) Now you barely see anyone of high lvl looting there anymore. That shows the loot table has change, imo, not for the better.

While I dont think legendaries should be easy to get, I do, however, believe that the devs went too high on the random number (or w.e it is called) in TLOPO. It needs to be lower a bit. As many good points have been made why this would be a benefit , such as:

1) We do not pay to play. Disney had a reason for it to be high (which still wasnt as high as it is now), and that is longer you play to get a desired item the more you will pay for a sub. (most mmorpg games that you play do this)
2) The TLOPO, for the most part is now mostly young adults. Time constraints are now an issue for most of the community. This why only a few can receive the better loot because they have the luxury of being able to spend a lot of time playing. With over weight being an issue in U.S., why not this be incentive to lower a bit more so people can (hopefully) not feel like they have to sit and play for hours to get the one thing they want. (I am not like this, as I only play when absolutely bored, but there are those that do.)
3) There is WAY to much ego going around for the excuse of BRAGGING RIGHTS to even be a point to keep it high. That is how drama gets started. Most of you want this community to be "sunshine and rainbows" but that isnt going to happen. You already have the toxic jump pvp group, do they need another reason to be jerks to others? No offense, as it isnt to all.

I notice also that it isnt just with legendaries. The requirement set to get Striker is absolutely absurd. If you want it to be so high, then let them drop more often, or dont put a time limited on how long they will be able to be obtain. Truth is a some of ppl are getting annoyed with how somethings like those mention above are done. It is like they only want to support those with nothing better to do then play extreme amount of hours in a game. Maybe instead of more weapons being added, we can something else to do end-game besides loot or go on endless mat runs for tiny bit of mats each run, which is annoying, imo, too.

By no means should anyone be guarantee a legendary at lvl 50, nor should it be set really low. There needs to be a balance found, and rn it is honestly to high. Also the lack of lvl 50 pirates walking away with these new swords, while lower lvls seem to almost have it a guarantee, it another example of how loot is off balance.

Also we desperately need a sailing loot fix, lol.
I completely agree. The most avid looters worry that increasing Legendary drop rates will destroy the endgame of TLOPO, but I don't see the logic behind this (which is why I suspect it has something to do with the ego/bragging rights you mentioned, at least for some looters). After all, we've heard of people quitting this game over poor loot drops. Yet, I for one have never heard of anyone quitting this game over "too much" loot. I doubt that getting a Legendary once every 3 months instead of every 6 months (just an example) could possibly ruin looting. If anything, it'll give more players a glimmer of hope and boost the player base!

As if it's just him? Apparently the majority of players in this game have bad luck. What an interesting paradox.

I completely agree. The most avid looters worry that increasing Legendary drop rates will destroy the endgame of TLOPO, but I don't see the logic behind this (which is why I suspect it has something to do with the ego/bragging rights you mentioned, at least for some looters). After all, we've heard of people quitting this game over poor loot drops. Yet, I for one have never heard of anyone quitting this game over "too much" loot. I doubt that getting a Legendary once every 3 months instead of every 6 months (just an example) could possibly ruin looting. If anything, it'll give more players a glimmer of hope and boost the player base!
No offense but I think people complaining about a weapon being too rare in a video game is silly. Especially seeing how are already easier to find in the remake than the original, and the devs have taken many steps to improve loot already during beta. People want legendaries because they are rare so why make them less rare?

No offense but I think people complaining about a weapon being too rare in a video game is silly. Especially seeing how are already easier to find in the remake than the original, and the devs have taken many steps to improve loot already during beta. People want legendaries because they are rare so why make them less rare?
Why make Legendaries less rare? For all the reasons me, DarkRose, squintz, Eric Fireskull, the OP and half the other people in this thread have been explaining. Please read and understand our responses before continuing to argue or saying "people" as if everyone agrees with you. As previous posts explained, most adults don't have the time to loot so much. So to say "People want legendaries because they are rare" is a rather misguided counterargument; there's little point in having Legendaries in the game if players quit before getting one! When I got my first Legendary, for example, I couldn't have cared less other pirates in my guild had it too. I don't know about you, but I play this game to have fun and that's about it. Bragging rights are not necessary in a game.

Also, I agree about it being silly to complain about a weapon in a game. However, I see few people in this thread "complaining" about anything. We are making fair arguments for how the player base and looting experience could benefit from the OP's suggestion. Take my initial post, for example. I didn't even mention my Legendaries or my looting specifically; I only discussed how I think the proposed change to the loot system could benefit the community in the long run. It's unfair and condescending to try and frame us as being silly or immature, or to dismiss us as complainers, just because you disagree. Not to mention you missed my point.

Why make Legendaries less rare? For all the reasons me, DarkRose, squintz, Eric Fireskull, the OP and half the other people in this thread have been explaining. Please read and understand our responses before continuing to argue or saying "people" as if everyone agrees with you. As previous posts explained, most adults don't have the time to loot so much. So to say "People want legendaries because they are rare" is a rather misguided counterargument; there's little point in having Legendaries in the game if players quit before getting one! When I got my first Legendary, for example, I couldn't have cared less other pirates in my guild had it too. I don't know about you, but I play this game to have fun and that's about it. Bragging rights are not necessary in a game.

Also, I agree about it being silly to complain about a weapon in a game. However, I see few people in this thread "complaining" about anything. We are making fair arguments for how the player base and looting experience could benefit from the OP's suggestion. Take my initial post, for example. I didn't even mention my Legendaries or my looting specifically; I only discussed how I think the proposed change to the loot system could benefit the community in the long run. It's unfair and condescending to try and frame us as being silly or immature, or to dismiss us as complainers, just because you disagree. Not to mention you missed my point.
It still is rather silly for people to complain when legendaries were so much harder to get in POTCO. I had never heard of people getting more than 1 or 2 el patrons until TLOPO. I don't think that the devs should keep making them easier to find. I think they should implement other features that everyone would enjoy.

. My point is, this game has been around too long and the community is too small for legendaries to be as hard as they are to get. Everyone wants at least one legendary, why not have a system like how you are guaranteed a famed cursed after killing patron, make a boss that only drops legendaries for a quest and its a 1 time thing?
Ngl this is not a bad idea. Just having a guaranteed legendary after doing a quest like Raven's Cove quest isn't a bad idea. The quest though still has to be double of what Raven is. Edit: However, im still a potco player at heart so its like ehhhh

And the drop rates of POTCO versus TLOPO are irrelevant.
I only brought it up because people FOR this idea were talking about it for some reason.

And im not ignoring your points. Im just saying its silly for people to complain when legendaries were harder to find in potco and i didnt see much complaining back then, but me thinking its silly is just my opinion. I'd hate for them to make legendaries any easier to find as I would not feel accomplished in finding one. Because I enjoy the feeling of getting one rather than having it as im sure most "elitists" in this community can relate. I think the devs shouldn't tamper with loot rates any more and continue fixing bugs and re-adding old features which was the original intent. However this is just my (and seemingly most people's) opinion

Back