Suggestion Let Male Pirates Primp

Or perhaps we could have a male equivalent to the female primping. Seeing a male checking his nails, especially a seafaring outlaw, is wrong and unnatural. So perhaps we could have the privilege of "contemplative thinking" (so crossing your arms and stroking your jaw/beard) or something else a bit more masculine.

Come to think of it, I've always wanted to see Jack stroking his jaw while making a tough decision on board his ship or in a tavern. Or during a quest on an island. That would look so cool...

If you really want to primp, just create a female pirate.
I've done it. I mean, what?

Wow, ya'll. I was not expecting this kind of negativity. I'm not an SJW. I have dude friends who play this game as dude pirates and want to primp. I know dudes in real life who take better care of their nails than I do.
I'm not saying this should be the number 1 thing they should implement, obviously there are better things they could be working on, like better clothes, trading between players, fixing existing bugs, etc. But seriously? Why does it bother you so much???? Like, just let it happen, if it's gonna happen. You don't have to go calling it "wrong and unnatural."

Wow, ya'll. I was not expecting this kind of negativity. I'm not an SJW. I have dude friends who play this game as dude pirates and want to primp. I know dudes in real life who take better care of their nails than I do.
I'm not saying this should be the number 1 thing they should implement, obviously there are better things they could be working on, like better clothes, trading between players, fixing existing bugs, etc. But seriously? Why does it bother you so much???? Like, just let it happen, if it's gonna happen. You don't have to go calling it "wrong and unnatural."

I was thinking similarly. It boggles my mind that people are so against it. Like if they don't want to use it, that's fine, but they would actually get upset about people doing it? That's crazy!

I personally don't care but there's always going to be two sides... The politically correct SJWs and the others who have a more traditional mindset. I personally doubt it will be implemented but there's always a chance :)

Gender roles are just a social construct. No one gender is better than the other. I know many women who just make a mess in the kitchen, and many men who make meals so satisfying your mouth will water so much, you'll be up to your waist in water by the time you're done eating.

Well one technical problem with this is the animation file only works with the female character model. They would likely have to make the animation from scratch to get it to work on the male character model. I'm not saying it couldn't be done but I don't think its really worth it.

upload_2017-7-20_13-52-57.png

Theres the animation file, if you load it with a male character model nothing happens.
upload_2017-7-20_13-54-58.png
But if you load it with the female character model of course it works.
upload_2017-7-20_13-54-8.png

Well one technical problem with this is the animation file only works with the female character model. They would likely have to make the animation from scratch to get it to work on the male character model. I'm not saying it couldn't be done but I don't think its really worth it.

View attachment 87839
Theres the animation file, if you load it with a male character model nothing happens.
View attachment 87841
View attachment 87840

This means bones are named differently, or that the male pirates have a vastly different skeletal mesh.

View attachment 87839
View attachment 87841
View attachment 87840
Yeah, I'm of the mind that there isn't any harm in it but the devs probably have bigger fish to fry than creating a new animation.

@Bart Gunshot
That's bizarre. Do they have different skeleton setups? Typically any humanoid animation should work for any humanoid model (though it might look bad).

If the skeleton (you might know it as avatar, but that might just be Unity) uses different names for points or something weird like that, all you should really have to do is assign them. Unless male/female models have drastically different setups (which would be messed up) I don't see how it could be anything but a minor inconvenience. Creating a whole new animation would be major overkill.

However, this does raise another question from me: does this mean there's two of each animation files for the ones that work on both genders? One set up for male and another for female?

Though I do admit I don't know how POTCO/TLOPO is set up, there COULD be a good reason for this I suppose. But what I know of animations (admittedly not a whole lot, I'm more into the programming side) tells me this is weird.

This means bones are named differently, or that the male pirates have a vastly different skeletal mesh.
@Bart Gunshot
That's bizarre. Do they have different skeleton setups? Typically any humanoid animation should work for any humanoid model (though it might look bad).

If the skeleton (you might know it as avatar, but that might just be Unity) uses different names for points or something weird like that, all you should really have to do is assign them. Unless male/female models have drastically different setups (which would be messed up) I don't see how it could be anything but a minor inconvenience.

However, this does raise another question from me: does this mean there's two of each animation files for the ones that work on both genders? One set up for male and another for female?
Its probably just that the bones are named differently. However there's no way to fix this that I know of using the original Disney files. There might be a way to do it through scripting within the engine itself, but I'm not that knowledgeable on that side. All models and animations are compiled into Panda3d's own proprietary format .bam which is not human readable. They do have a program that will convert backwards from .bam into .egg which can then be converted further. However when you try and use the program on animation files it currently results in this distorted mess.
upload_2017-7-20_14-5-32.png
They could write a new program or fix the current one to handle animations properly, but at the end of the day its just a lot more work for one simple animation. It would be easier to just remake it from scratch at that point.

@Bart Gunshot

Though I do admit I don't know how POTCO/TLOPO is set up, there COULD be a good reason for this I suppose. But what I know of animations (admittedly not a whole lot, I'm more into the programming side) tells me this is weird.
upload_2017-7-20_14-16-49.png
Yes, two copies of every animation file used across both genders. Most of these are unused or NPC specific too though.

Its probably just that the bones are named differently. However there's no way to fix this that I know of using the original Disney files. There might be a way to do it through scripting within the engine itself, but I'm not that knowledgeable on that side. All models and animations are compiled into Panda3d's own proprietary format .bam which is not human readable. They do have a program that will convert backwards from .bam into .egg which can then be converted further. However when you try and use the program on animation files it currently results in this distorted mess.
View attachment 87842
They could write a new program or fix the current one to handle animations properly, but at the end of the day its just a lot more work for one simple animation. It would be easier to just remake it from scratch at that point.

View attachment 87844
Yes, two copies of every animation file used across both genders. Most of these are unused or NPC specific too though.

Darnit, why must Panda make everything so difficult!

Back