Lets Make A New POTCO

Would You Play A POTCO Remake?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, before spending money/resources. I would try to see if we can make them make it open source? I would definitely start spending 200 dollars a month to have a server. I have a few friends that could help me run it. Also I would recruit members from the community to help moderate it.

I think it would be best if we see if we can get an open source version... They owe us that much.

https://piratesforums.co/threads/the-renegade-sharks-video.9087/#post-150352

No offense taken, I don't think you had any bad intentions :) However with Pirates closing so recently I am still nervous about the future of this community. I don't know what the future holds but if your idea materializes I would be happy to consider making changes to be a fan-forum for a POTCO-inspired game, or even linking directly to your forum.

At the same time I don't wish to offend you, but until some sort of alpha or something is in place I feel uncomfortable having links to forums that might draw activity away from here. I don't mean to make anyone here feel like they're locked in or being held hostage - you may go where you please, just find another way to get there.

:good post: Exactly! What he said.

:drink::cheers::2 cents:

;)

I don't mean to make anyone here feel like they're locked in or being held hostage - you may go where you please, just find another way to get there.

Why would we go? We are in the best forums already ;) As Davy said before, this forums will "adjust" to adding new games/content. There is no need to move to a new forum. Our roots are here. I'm not transplanting.

:daggermouth: My opinion about any gaming venture/startup/kick starter plan (as a result of POTCO's closing) is that the capital/money it would require to continually "maintain" the project long-term would be HUGE, no matter what theme was ultimately chosen. (Understand that I do not mean to sound negative whatsoever but the vast majority of small businesses and startup plans which are conceptualized to launch do happen to struggle with this issue, at some point within the experience).

*Hopefully, there is a contingency plan in place to counter such measures.Also, I am going to be a little blunt here so please, do not take offense to my inquiry...

*As a ex-POTCO player, what assurance can you give me Edward Shipstealer that this NEW POTCO gaming project is legitimate enough to where it stands upon its' own merit (and not heavily supported/begun by those whom have hacked POTCO in the past)?

Forgive me for the direct implication of such a question but it is important to me (as a potential player of this NEW game) to understand for myself the answer before I jump ship from the experience of playing POTCO and join up on "other" gaming projects initiated by ex-POTCO players.

In my own view, there are just too many "masks" people can wear online to hide behind towards the pursuit of gaining my money for the purpose of helping me to cope with the loss of POTCO.

Thank You. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:daggermouth: My opinion about any gaming venture/startup/kick starter plan (as a result of POTCO's closing) is that the capital/money it would require to continually "maintain" the project long-term would be HUGE, no matter what theme was ultimately chosen. (Understand that I do not mean to sound negative whatsoever but the vast majority of small businesses and startup plans which are conceptualized to launch do happen to struggle with this issue, at some point within the experience).

*Hopefully, there is a contingency plan in place to counter such measures.Also, I am going to be a little blunt here so please, do not take offense to my inquiry...

*As a ex-POTCO player, what assurance can you give me Edward Shipstealer that this NEW POTCO gaming project is legitimate enough to where it stands upon its' own merit (and not heavily supported/begun by those whom have hacked POTCO in the past)?

Forgive me for the direct implication of such a question but it is important to me (as a potential player of this NEW game) to understand for myself the answer before I jump ship from the experience of playing POTCO and join up on "other" gaming projects initiated by ex-POTCO players.

In my own view, there are just too many "masks" people can wear online to hide behind towards the pursuit of gaining my money for the purpose of helping me to cope with the loss of POTCO.

Thank You. :)

Ahoy! I can say that this is 100% legit. I already have some playable "testing" game out. We are currently registering as a Corperation in the state of Florida. We have setup the budget for the KickStarter with a couple of months to get going. We plan on major updates to the game every 2-3 months. Any other question you have I'd be happy to answer or you can check out our forums!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahoy! I can say that this is 100% legit. I already have some playable "testing" game out. We are currently registering as a Corperation in the state of Florida. We have setup the budget for the KickStarter with a couple of months to get going. We plan on major updates to the game every 2-3 months. Any other question you have I'd be happy to answer or you can check out our forums!
Good to hear but perhaps to put the whole POTCO community at ease, it would be "ideal" to have a formal statement issued which listed those individuals responsible for your game's development (a ABOUT US description, more or less).
:flag1:
Also, I have visited your forums site and I have identified a handful of "serious" POTCO hackers whom have already registered on that forums and whom have also expressed their support towards the game. Were you aware of this?

I don't mean to be overly questioning you but I had read on your forums also that the game engine used for the development of your game is "Unity." I was just wondering, to what extent has your game's development team reviewed that game engine's terms of service? Here is the link: http://unity3d.com/company/legal/terms-of-use

It might sound like I am dogging this gaming effort of yours but please understand that I am not. *I am just the type of individual whom investigates things closely before I decide whether or not to support something and I am also keenly aware of the vast network of POTCO hacking that was allowed to exist, on that beloved game of ours.

Good to hear but perhaps to put the whole POTCO community at ease, it would be "ideal" to have a formal statement issued which listed those individuals responsible for your game's development (a ABOUT US description, more or less).
Also, I have visited your forums site and I have identified a handful of "serious" POTCO hackers whom have already registered on that forums and whom have also expressed their support towards the game. Were you aware of this?

I don't mean to be overly questioning you but I had read on your forums also that the game engine used for the development of your game is "Unity." I was just wondering, to what extent has your game's development team reviewed that game engine's terms of service? Here is the link: http://unity3d.com/company/legal/terms-of-use

It might sound like I am dogging this gaming effort of yours but please understand that I am not. *I am just the type of individual whom investigates things closely before I decide whether or not to support something and I am also keenly aware of the vast network of POTCO hacking that was allowed to exist, on that beloved game of ours.

I completely understand your concerns. We will have to deal with these hackers, we plan to block hacking by storing every data that is important server side, so modded files will just change the client but not the actual value. We have been over Unity's terms of use and everything is fine. A about us page will come with the main page of the website, currently being worked on. Anything else you would like to ask about?

I really loved POTCO, but became inactive for a while due to other stuff. But then I decided to return the day after it closed. TALK ABOUT MAJOR HEARTBREAK! I'm so happy that there might be a new one :D It would also be so cool if they added the kraken! :)

I agree Shamus. I may actually help with the kickstarter fund if I can see that they are creating a better and more secure version of potco...

Anything else you would like to ask about?
Only this, mate...

*Will you provide for forums members here a greater sense of transparency coming from yourself and your development staff? What this means is that this gaming project of yours must provide a greater sense of purpose, mission, and/or goals to where the public, this community, and this pirate of mine (whom is 'greedy' btw) may willfully choose to back this project and in turn, hand over the funds required to finance this project.

I find it wonderful :D that you and your development team desire to implement aspects into the game which remain similar to POTCO but to be honest, this is not enough for savvy pirates whom are savvy like me with their "gold."

Currently as it stands, I have NO idea on:
  • Who you are and the names of the members of your development team (i.e., your 'main' pirate name/guild)
  • Your credentials in developing such a game as POTHS
  • The game's purpose and mission statement (I have yet to locate on the POTHS forums page information which can explain to me the game's purpose, the game's goals, and how POTHS will differ in a better way that POTCO did)
  • The expectation of the game's ratings
  • A well defined base of game rules and security measures taken (i.e., 'reporting' option, handling of hackers/trouble-makers, etc.)
  • Assurance from you and your staff concerning daily, weekly, or monthly updates as to the beta developments that do take place (a 'requirement' in my book in exchange for the donations provided)
If you desire the greatest success with this initiative, you must provide transparency and a suitable answer to each, in my opinion. Thank You. :)

Only this, mate...

*Will you provide for forums members here a greater sense of transparency coming from yourself and your development staff? What this means is that this gaming project of yours must provide a greater sense of purpose, mission, and/or goals to where the public, this community, and this pirate of mine (whom is 'greedy' btw) may willfully choose to back this project and in turn, hand over the funds required to finance this project.

I find it wonderful :D that you and your development team desire to implement aspects into the game which remain similar to POTCO but to be honest, this is not enough for savvy pirates whom are savvy like me with their "gold."

Currently as it stands, I have NO idea on:
  • Who you are and the names of the members of your development team (i.e., your 'main' pirate name/guild)
  • Your credentials in developing such a game as POTHS
  • The game's purpose and mission statement (I have yet to locate on the POTHS forums page information which can explain to me the game's purpose, the game's goals, and how POTHS will differ in a better way that POTCO did)
  • The expectation of the game's ratings
  • A well defined base of game rules and security measures taken (i.e., 'reporting' option, handling of hackers/trouble-makers, etc.)
  • Assurance from you and your staff concerning daily, weekly, or monthly updates as to the beta developments that do take place (a 'requirement' in my book in exchange for the donations provided)
If you desire the greatest success with this initiative, you must provide transparency and a suitable answer to each, in my opinion. Thank You. :)

Agreed with Shamus! :rumgone:

Edward Shipstealer has been busy with all that stuff going on, he told me to link you to your forums since he has answered those questions quite a few times already :
I have to say, the more I read about this game the more I like it. I hope to see it in beta to learn more about it. I actually did donate some $$ towards it today in the hopes that it will be used towards making this an epic game ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back