Lets Make A New POTCO

Would You Play A POTCO Remake?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, the more I read about this game the more I like it. I hope to see it in beta to learn more about it. I actually did donate some $$ towards it today in the hopes that it will be used towards making this an epic game ;)

There is potential but I have a hard time getting my hopes up. Skeptical at this point but a successful beta launch would add a lot of excitement to the project.

Edward Shipstealer has been busy with all that stuff going on, he told me to link you to your forums since he has answered those questions quite a few times already :
Not to be argumentative and to keep on this like the ugly "wart" on Scary Mary's nose, Edward has not actually answered anything substantial to the majority of my questions other than claiming that eventually, a ABOUT US section would be posted on the game's website, whenever that may be.

I have noticed that one of my questions was nearly answered on the PoTHS forums (pertaining to the 'background' of the development team) but as quick as the question was asked, the thread to where the question was posted was "locked" to where a sufficient answer to the question was not discussed any further on account of viewers being reverted to that forums thread questions and FAQ threads. (On either of those threads, there exists no post to where such a question was answered about the 'background' issue).

Look. The point that I am trying to make is that many of these questions should have already been well-thought out, planned, and openly understood prior to and before any activity of development should have been initiated towards PoTHS. :D As it appears now, Edward and his team are just too busy to provide such details and are relying upon others to support this project as a "good-faith" measure to where the exchange of money is not only expected but also encouraged.

I just don't jive with that, savvy? I need more specifics concerning PoTHS, as a potential supporter and player.
There wont be a Beta if there isnt a Kickstarter and an Alpha so, long way to go
Please see the reason I provide above as to why a Kickstarter ,in my opinion, will not be as successful as it could be if "certain" questions were understood (so as to gain the 'most' donations for the cause).
I believe so yes, You can check our forums, we aren't much active on here
This is really unfortunate :sad1: (especially concerning the 'direction' of this forums in light of POTCO's closing). *Such a gain in activity there causes a loss of activity here, during a time to where this forums is trying to re-adjust its' identity.

Well, I am a big believer in the idea of let the buyer beware idea. However I am going to suspend my disbelief that this is too good to be true to a limited extent. I can think of plenty of large hurdles to overcome. I can overlook the fact that this has a hasty feel to it since we were all merrily enjoying POTC about 6 weeks ago and then the hammer came down. As a result, I see how and why this has cropped up in a rather quick manner. I will support the effort to create a new and improved POTHS. Perhaps it is wishful thinking on many of our parts but nothing ventured and nothing gained. My biggest concern is that in order for this venture to be taken seriously outside of our small community, the hasty feel needs to be overcome. I think we as a community have deep insight into what this game could be and how to make it a success financially and emotionally for the game community. We all talked many times about what could have been and this might be that chance to realize that dream. I applaud the determination of those trying to get this going. However to really generate the funds necessary and perhaps even hook an "angel" to back this, a business plan and game story needs to get fleshed out. I feel like that is in the works. I am not suggesting any of us cash in our retirement plans to back this. I am suggesting that like many community endeavors, if we can't or won't donate money, we can donate ideas. We can offer to help as our skills allow. We can try to promote in a responsible manner to people we feel might be interested. I am sure we all told others about POTCO. Getting the word out and letting others decide for themselves about how to back this is ok in my mind.

I know that this idea was generated initially within this forums. I also saw a few comments that it leave this spot and it appears that happened. Not saying that it is right or wrong, just that it is the current situation. I have seen that there is also a couple of other pirate game ventures being discussed. Obviously this is serving to fracture things even more than the events of Sept 19th did. I am signed on to the other forums but in no way does that mean I am going to leave this one. My ultimate hope is that we are all reunited on a new shore with our new ships waiting. Now the path we chose has yet to be determined and I hope we can make that journey.

I do think that, in a way, I am letting my "suspicions" get the better of me concerning my insistence upon WHO is behind any one of these kickstarter/NEW (potco) gaming projects. (Note: The PoTHS project is just one of several projects that I am currently reviewing at this time). While I am trying my best to remain as supportive and objective as possible, my concern is also 100% warranted. Let me explain.

When Disney Interactive announced POTCO's closing to occur on September 19, not too long thereafter a POTCO "emulator" (gaming project) was announced on the Wiki. This idea of this emulator came from a pirate who was responsible for a considerable amount of hacking related to POTCO (whom was also responsible for some of the SVS ship sinking of 'normal' ships during the Revive POTCO 'blockade event,' that had occurred on Jan. 1st, 2013). To date, information I had documented down concerning the URL link to where this emulator had originated from (and to where it had promoted itself) no longer works/remains broken. Therefore, this emulator project has likely taken on a different identity to where this individual has in turn, taken on a different identity himself. (Note: I had spoken to him directly during the emulator's promotion).

As a POTCO player, I remain passionate about all aspects of the game except the dark side of the game that very few people desire to acknowledge or talk about. This "dark side" of POTCO (to where an extensive 'network' of POTCO players encouraged and supported each other via use of that third party program) is an aspect of the game that I prefer to not see repeated! In addition, for myself to remain somewhat skeptical behind ex-POTCO players' intentions (players that myself or others 'do not' know), well I do hope that everyone can understand my reluctance since the aftermath of Sept. 19th.

Today as an ex-player and Revive POTCO organizer, I will never forget the literal "sinking" feeling I was forced to feel as a result of the outcome of the events which led to the sinking of non-SVS ships on Jan. 1st, 2013. As such, I will never knowingly choose to support the efforts of those whom relied upon the use of such program/hacking efforts that occurred on POTCO. Therefore, it is important to ME to understand who it is that I support, when it comes to anyone associated with that Caribbean game we all love so much.

This remains now, the only way that I can still honor the game...:piratemickey:

I do think that, in a way, I am letting my "suspicions" get the better of me concerning my insistence upon WHO is behind any one of these kickstarter/NEW (potco) gaming projects. (Note: The PoTHS project is just one of several projects that I am currently reviewing at this time). While I am trying my best to remain as supportive and objective as possible, my concern is also 100% warranted. Let me explain.

When Disney Interactive announced POTCO's closing to occur on September 19, not too long thereafter a POTCO "emulator" (gaming project) was announced on the Wiki. This idea of this emulator came from a pirate who was responsible for a considerable amount of hacking related to POTCO (whom was also responsible for some of the SVS ship sinking of 'normal' ships during the Revive POTCO 'blockade event,' that had occurred on Jan. 1st, 2013). To date, information I had documented down concerning the URL link to where this emulator had originated from (and to where it had promoted itself) no longer works/remains broken. Therefore, this emulator project has likely taken on a different identity to where this individual has in turn, taken on a different identity himself. (Note: I had spoken to him directly during the emulator's promotion).

As a POTCO player, I remain passionate about all aspects of the game except the dark side of the game that very few people desire to acknowledge or talk about. This "dark side" of POTCO (to where an extensive 'network' of POTCO players encouraged and supported each other via use of that third party program) is an aspect of the game that I prefer to not see repeated! In addition, for myself to remain somewhat skeptical behind ex-POTCO players' intentions (players that myself or others 'do not' know), well I do hope that everyone can understand my reluctance since the aftermath of Sept. 19th.

Today as an ex-player and Revive POTCO organizer, I will never forget the literal "sinking" feeling I was forced to feel as a result of the outcome of the events which led to the sinking of non-SVS ships on Jan. 1st, 2013. As such, I will never knowingly choose to support the efforts of those whom relied upon the use of such program/hacking efforts that occurred on POTCO. Therefore, it is important to ME to understand who it is that I support, when it comes to anyone associated with that Caribbean game we all love so much.

This remains now, the only way that I can still honor the game...:piratemickey:

Sorry I have been very busy on the game and the forums, as I don't have much time, I'm going to drop this "argument" anf will inform you when we get a demo or something's else hopefully this will make you have a little more faith.

I believe so yes, You can check our forums, we aren't much active on here

It is sad to see dedicated players leaving forums after the game is closed. Davy is working hard on making forums a place for many people to join.

:parrot:

It is a pleasure for me to be here. It was the community who made POTCO what it was till 19th September 2013, not Disney.

It was all thanks to you Davy Darkrage :)

It is sad to see dedicated players leaving forums after the game is closed. Davy is working hard on making forums a place for many people to join.

:parrot:

It is a pleasure for me to be here. It was the community who made POTCO what it was till 19th September 2013, not Disney.

It was all thanks to you Davy Darkrage :)

We don't want to take players from here. I just needed ideas and posted a link if anyone wanted to join it I want them to stay on here as well as all POTCO players should stick together.

We don't want to take players from here. I just needed ideas and posted a link if anyone wanted to join it I want them to stay on here as well as all POTCO players should stick together.
I believe Davy has already stated we do not want the link to be spread on this forums site as it may result in the loss of activity and vitality on this site. If anyone is interested in the game, a google search should provide you with whatever you are looking for. I've removed all links to the POTHS forums. Thanks for understanding.

Example:
Name For The Game:Seems you already got one, so.
Would You Play A POTCO ReMake: Yes, of course.
Most Important To Keep The Same: The looting. The weapons, I know you can't keep the same ones, but I liked how there were legendary, famed, and stuff.
Most Important To Change: Different types of ships.
Other Suggestions:
-
-
-
-
-
Other Thoughts:
-
-Quests should be fun and interactive, like the Ravens Cove quest. That was really fun. When you could actually choose what to say, and do.
-Please don't make the graphics too much, I liked Potco's because it was simple and you didn't need an amazing computer to run it.
-I'm so sad that Potco has closed, I've played this game all my childhood... I made a forum account just to post this. I hope we can get potco back because It's just something about it.. I miss it already. I would totally play if you made some sort of remake.. Good luck and I hope to see this one day :).

Not sure if anyone posted this link anywhere, but this is interesting (ty Edward Mctimbers)

Disappointing it says "facebook application" unless it was just to test it out before going to mmorgp?
I couldn't find anything else on it. - (apologies if it's posted here somewhere already)

http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_Isles_of_War
Its going to be a Facebook Game just like the 1000s of others out there. It wont be anything like POTCO. :/

Its going to be a Facebook Game just like the 1000s of others out there. It wont be anything like POTCO. :/
It's being made by Playdom, not Disney but I guess that just means Disney is paying Playdom to create and run the game since it has the Disney POTC characters in it.

Pirates of the High Seas. People who played POTCO are making this game, they only have a forum so far though

It's being made by Playdom, not Disney but I guess that just means Disney is paying Playdom to create and run the game since it has the Disney POTC characters in it.
To be clear, Playdom is owned by Disney. This division is responsible for the majority of "social" games (i.e., 'facebook' games) Disney Interactive concerns itself with along with some mobile games.

John Pleasants (the man entitled with half of Disney Interactive's responsibilities as co-President) served as both Playdom's CEO and General Manager. *Interesting to note is that Mr. Pleasants also has heavy ties with Electronic Arts, Inc. (EA games) retaining titles with that company in the past as not only President of Global Publishing but also as CEO.

*Mr. Pleasants connections with EA games could also explain some of the influence as to why EA was chosen by Kathleen Kennedy to be responsible for much of the (future) LucasArts games affiliated with the "Star Wars" brand. (Currently, EA games is not taken as seriously as it once was and is somewhat on the rebound at the moment as far as producing quality games to appease 'serious' gamers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back