so yeah

Invisibility cloak and SvS glitch at the same time?
Well I think the ship being "invisible" for me wasn't so much it was invisible, as I believe it was the bug where if a player ship is sitting still it won't load in the right place until it begins to move. I'm positive it was a player ship though because I later saw the ship going to port so I followed it and multiple people had also followed it claiming he was sinking other player ships. Not to mention when you are damaged by another ship the name of that ship comes up and I am fairly certain there is no NPC ship called "Golden King" in this game.

LOL@Arabella's comment!
Crickets... obviously the devs are clueless here and have no idea what to do to resolve this issue.
Happened to me 4 times in a row today, and a shout out to Eric, there was a light sloop in the water each time, speeding way faster than they can go, so maybe there's something to that.
Well, I think it's safe to say we'll have to learn to live with this hacker until someone can come up with his/her name, address, phone number and IP addy to email Arabella as proof...
Otherwise, yer on yer own mateys!

No need to be rude. Deriding the TLOPO team and forum moderators is absolutely uncalled for. Arabella simply directed people to use the proper channels to report these types of incidents. The forums are an outlet for player discussion, there's not really an expectation for the TLOPO team to chime in on every single thread where an issue is raised. And nobody was asked to provide anything other than a report of the occurrence so the team can look further into it.

It should go without saying that if there is an exploit, it will be patched as soon as possible.

No need to be rude. Deriding the TLOPO team and forum moderators is absolutely uncalled for. Arabella simply directed people to use the proper channels to report these types of incidents. The forums are an outlet for player discussion, there's not really an expectation for the TLOPO team to chime in on every single thread where an issue is raised. And nobody was asked to provide anything other than a report of the occurrence so the team can look further into it.

It should go without saying that if there is an exploit, it will be patched as soon as possible.
Just business as usual, but thanks for the speakup :)

I agree with not being rude to staff but I have a few points to bring up as well.
People have been doing this "exploit" for about a month now, numerous people have reported these people killing others and killing players ships, yet nothing has been done about it. There is a report button ingame and many people use it. There are reports via support@tlopo.com and many people have sent this issue in to them. The problem is usually unless theyre on the ship ur on doing rapid fire cannons and sinking other players you cannot report them because you cant get their name or playercard.

This whole thing with people up to 10 OCCURANCES NOW being killed in masses at tortuga, or being killed at sea, or being killed at very far range on the ocean with far away cannon balls almost instantly, has been basically hardly acknowledged or almost ignored by the staff...

And yes while I do agree the staff shouldn't have to chime in on everything I certainly think that they should chime in on people literally hacking their game because you'd think that would be a big deal to them and that you'd want to re-assure people that we won't keep getting killed with FULL LOOT AT SEA which as you know can get infuriating VERY FAST. Also no rudeness intended. Crashalot really taking it too far. Be polite people!

Last edited:
All I can say is that there is something going on, it is wide spread, and it's only a few days old.

It happened to me and others a month or so ago (I don't recall that anyone started a thread on it, but it was talked about in game). It seems that the people hacking/exploiting stopped for a while, but are back at it again now. Or maybe there's new people doing it, who knows.

Sorry if you thought me rude or deriding staff.
That's not what I did. I saw it as extremely amusing given the problem at hand.
It's funny because of the absurdity of the response to the problem, which fails to accept that there's a problem and asks for proof, when the amount of reports should suffice.
You see, if you notice, there's zero response to the problem, as if it doesn't exist.
Then the main dev comes here and also avoids the premise of this thread.
So, it's all very amusing to me and I'm sorry if folk are getting sensitive about it.

Now it may just be me, but a reply to the effect that acknowledges the problem exists, which it does, would seem more appropriate.
At the very least simply say there's too much to do to be bothered by a hacker or glitch, but at least acknowledge it.

So, crickets, as no one who should care, has commented in a manner that would address the matter, one way or another.

Asking for evidence of hacking would be something folks on the technical end would have and certainly not end user players.

That's funny to me and no offense to Arabella either. I'm not deriding her, mocking her or making a joke at her expense.

That's not what I did. I saw it as extremely amusing given the problem at hand.
It's funny because of the absurdity of the response to the problem, which fails to accept that there's a problem and asks for proof, when the amount of reports should suffice.
You see, if you notice, there's zero response to the problem, as if it doesn't exist.
Then the main dev comes here and also avoids the premise of this thread.
So, it's all very amusing to me and I'm sorry if folk are getting sensitive about it.

Now it may just be me, but a reply to the effect that acknowledges the problem exists, which it does, would seem more appropriate.
At the very least simply say there's too much to do to be bothered by a hacker or glitch, but at least acknowledge it.

So, crickets, as no one who should care, has commented in a manner that would address the matter, one way or another.

Asking for evidence of hacking would be something folks on the technical end would have and certainly not end user players.

That's funny to me and no offense to Arabella either. I'm not deriding her, mocking her or making a joke at her expense.
It is true that there has been no announcement that the developers are aware and doing something about it but you may be a bit presumptuous in saying that they are doing nothing or are unaware. I can see both sides of this and think that you should not be so critical, even if it was tongue in cheek. It could be that the developers don't want to tip their hand. I also think the problem is big enough that it merits the developers saying something official about it.

It is true that there has been no announcement that the developers are aware and doing something about it but you may be a bit presumptuous in saying that they are doing nothing or are unaware. I can see both sides of this and think that you should not be so critical, even if it was tongue in cheek. It could be that the developers don't want to tip their hand. I also think the problem is big enough that it merits the developers saying something official about it.
Well, I didn't go as far as to say they're doing nothing or that they are unaware of the issue. I said they're not acknowledging the problem as such in the forums. I'm sure they are busy with myriad things, as are we all.
And this was only mentioned by me because I thought Arabella's comment was classic Soviet-style deflection, and very amusing! I love sarcasm, irony and a good joke, whenever possible.
Now I know Arabella wasn't joking, but it was extremely funny, to me anyways.
So yeah.

My words are my own and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of blah blah blah.

That's not what I did.
That's exactly what you did.
obviously the devs are clueless here and have no idea what to do to resolve this issue

I saw it as extremely amusing given the problem at hand.
Just because you may find it amusing or see others as sensitive doesn't absolve you of all responsibility for how you come across or make others feel. I'm somebody who generally agrees that people have become increasingly sensitive to the point of absurdity, but that's not just a free license to say whatever you want without having to consider the consequences or repercussions.

The attitude some people take on the forums can be hostile and demoralizing, and frankly only serves to drive the developers further away from responding and interacting with the community here. If what you truly want is to see them engage more in these open discussions, you should do your part to foster the type of environment that they'd feel comfortable participating in. Of course, if speaking your mind bluntly and without regard for how you come across is more important to you, that's okay. Just don't be too surprised when the developers don't feel welcome or comfortable participating.

You're reading much too far into the response. It was simply a forum moderator (who bears no official association with TLOPO) reminding people to report the problem via the official channels, where it can be processed appropriately. Perhaps the wording could have been better, but it wasn't meant to be interpreted so rigidly. The forums are a discussion platform for players. There is no guarantee that the TLOPO team will even see anything reported here at all, so it's important to send in an email to make sure it gets noted. That's all that was being suggested.

Anyways...

I agree with not being rude to staff but I have a few points to bring up as well.
People have been doing this "exploit" for about a month now, numerous people have reported these people killing others and killing players ships, yet nothing has been done about it.
This whole thing with people up to 10 OCCURANCES NOW being killed in masses at tortuga, or being killed at sea, or being killed at very far range on the ocean with far away cannon balls almost instantly, has been basically hardly acknowledged or almost ignored by the staff...
Given the lack of public acknowledgment, I wouldn't fault you or anyone else for feeling like this issue has gone ignored. However, the TLOPO team does take these things seriously. So while it's understandably nice to be reassured, you can be pretty certain they're taking steps to resolve it internally. One other thing to consider (which was brought up above) is that when it comes to matters of security, sometimes it can be advantageous to strategically withhold information, frustrating though it can be.

There is a report button ingame and many people use it. There are reports via support@tlopo.com and many people have sent this issue in to them. The problem is usually unless theyre on the ship ur on doing rapid fire cannons and sinking other players you cannot report them because you cant get their name or playercard.
That makes sense. Still, reporting the incident in as much detail is possible is important even if you can't report the player directly so that the root issue can be addressed (regardless of the individual performing the exploit) :)

My words are my own and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of blah blah blah.

That's exactly what you did.

Just because you may find it amusing or see others as sensitive doesn't absolve you of all responsibility for how you come across or make others feel. I'm somebody who generally agrees that people have become increasingly sensitive to the point of absurdity, but that's not just a free license to say whatever you want without having to consider the consequences or repercussions.

The attitude some people take on the forums can be hostile and demoralizing, and frankly only serves to drive the developers further away from responding and interacting with the community here. If what you truly want is to see them engage more in these open discussions, you should do your part to foster the type of environment that they'd feel comfortable participating in. Of course, if speaking your mind bluntly and without regard for how you come across is more important to you, that's okay. Just don't be too surprised when the developers don't feel welcome or comfortable participating.

You're reading much too far into the response. It was simply a forum moderator (who bears no official association with TLOPO) reminding people to report the problem via the official channels, where it can be processed appropriately. Perhaps the wording could have been better, but it wasn't meant to be interpreted so rigidly. The forums are a discussion platform for players. There is no guarantee that the TLOPO team will even see anything reported here at all, so it's important to send in an email to make sure it gets noted. That's all that was being suggested.

Anyways...

Given the lack of public acknowledgment, I wouldn't fault you or anyone else for feeling like this issue has gone ignored. However, the TLOPO team does take these things seriously. So while it's understandably nice to be reassured, you can be pretty certain they're taking steps to resolve it internally. One other thing to consider (which was brought up above) is that when it comes to matters of security, sometimes it can be advantageous to strategically withhold information, frustrating though it can be.

That makes sense. Still, reporting the incident in as much detail is possible is important even if you can't report the player directly so that the root issue can be addressed (regardless of the individual performing the exploit) :)
Davy, I've upset you now, and I am truly sorry for that.
I think you're reading way too much into my comments and general good humor here.
Without going into elaborate and time consuming line-item referencing/quoting, let me suffice to say that my conclusions are based merely on the response, and lack there of, of any meaningful dialogue regarding the problem.
Now, a simple comment such as; "we are aware of the issue" or anything to that effect would probably allay the concerns of most here.

Maybe we just have a different sense of humor. If nothing else is taken away from what I said, a reminder (to everyone) to consider how you might be interpreted by people who don't know you, and that a positive attitude can go a long way in making others more receptive to engaging in a dialogue with you and others -- if that's what you want to see.

The TLOPO team is aware of the issue, and they have taken and will continue to take steps to resolve exploits.

Maybe we just have a different sense of humor. If nothing else is taken away from what I said, a reminder (to everyone) to consider how you might be interpreted by people who don't know you, and that a positive attitude can go a long way in making others more receptive to engaging in a dialogue with you and others -- if that's what you want to see.

The TLOPO team is aware of the issue, and they have taken and will continue to take steps to resolve exploits.
I think all humor, antagonizing, whatever else aside from what everyone has said here, this is all that any of us really wanted, acknowledgement that the issue does indeed exist and is being taken care of. This particularly worried me because I recall a few months back there was an audio memory leak that was pretty bad, I had reported it and I thought the dev team was working on it because pretty much everyone knew about it. It came up on the forums and I don't recall if it was you or someone else that replied that as far as you guys were concerned the problem didn't exist. In the end video of it was provided and you guys came out and said it was certainly a problem and you were working on it but the fact that something so widely known in the community was ignored by the devs and passed off as untrue worried me a lot. So just seeing you guys acknowledge the problem and state you are working on it is really all I personally wanted so I'm happy to hear it.

Thanks for letting us know Davy.

I think all humor, antagonizing, whatever else aside from what everyone has said here, this is all that any of us really wanted, acknowledgement that the issue does indeed exist and is being taken care of.
I get that. I just hope it's not lost on anyone that the two are intertwined. I know that the meta-discussion is a bit dull and doesn't directly address the issue at hand, but it is relevant to the over-arching theme of a thread not being officially acknowledged.

Something else to consider is that the title of this thread isn't very descriptive, and I likely wouldn't have read it at all if it weren't for somebody bringing it to my attention yesterday. Not to say that thread titles should be sensational or alarmist either, but somewhere in the middle is nice. When sending in an email, you should typically receive a direct response (though it may take some time).

but the fact that something so widely known in the community was ignored by the devs and passed off as untrue worried me a lot.
The internet facilitates the rapid spread of information (true or not), and most people won't hesitate to regurgitate what they've heard without researching it further. As a result, it's rather easy to discount the merit of how widely believed something is without having substantive evidence. With the audio memory leak, the team wasn't able to reproduce it because something key to understanding the issue wasn't realized until you provided the video (thanks again). Up until that point, it was thought to be just a common rumor. Point taken about acknowledgment though.

Anyway, this is an unfortunate scenario and who knows who could be behind it? Could be a random player, someone from another recreation of the game looking for drama or even a dev looking to have some fun?
In any event, hopefully it doesn't become a thing in the game.

Right now it seems to have stopped again. That makes me more open to it being a hacker that knows they are being investigated. I just don't get the mindset of a hacker and really don't want to get it why someone would want to create havoc for others who just want to play a game.

Back