so yeah

whats funny? do you want me to get screenshots?
Relax, he's a known troll. And based on his name, more than likely a hacker. They do think something of themselves. For all we know, given his begging for attention, he may well be the person behind this. I wouldn't put it past him/her/it.

At this point, maybe someone behind the scenes might be doing this for whatever personal reasons; revenge, humor, who knows.
I say this because for anyone to perpetuate this with impunity for so long and not get caught or have the problem solved already seems worrisome at best.

One of my guild mates had it happen to her off of Padre on Abassa server last night 3 times. She was very upset cause her ship is fully upgraded and costs so much to repair. When it happened to me I was off of Padre on Abassa also. Was anyone that has had this happen in a different location??

I am the guild mate. This was the second night in a row it had happened on Abassa. The night before I was in a swarm and watched player ship after player ship go down, one after another until it was me and one other ship. Now I do not know if that remaining ship was the culprit or if I just went down before him. I did get a screenshot and sent it in to TLOPO. Tonight, they were back at it again. Another guildy had just launched and was immediately sunk. She noted that only one other ship was around her.. a sloop named Sea Stallion (this is a diff ship then in my screenshot). About 5 min later, we went down as well. I did not note what was around us but our capt confirmed that Sea Stallion was near us. Again this is not concrete evidence but at the very least this is getting seriously frustrating. Last nite after being sunk three times, finally getting a successful run in (or so I thought) only to have the entire server get dumped right before I ported.. I gave up and logged off.

The only thing I can suggest to people is if you do get sunk, get right back out where u were and start taking note of who is around.. get screenshots (or even use recording software for better evidence). The next time you are sunk, note the time and server you are on. If its a particular ship you are suspicious of, it will help the dev team with those specifics since more then one player can have the same ship name.

Lastly, IF this is just a glitch then it is a pretty serious one and I am glad the devs are at least aware of this whole situation. On a different note, where have all the devs been lately? lol Havent seen an update or post (aside from peddler outfits) in like weeks. I think this is a slight reason for players not feeling acknowledged with certain issues. Seems pretty empty lately on the technical side. Not complaining or accusing.. I know they have lives. Just curious.

So now we know this has happened both on abassa and andaba (when andaba is the high server). No one else has said they were on another server. If it was a game glitch, wouldn't it be on all servers?? This makes me think even more it is a hacker. Or do we all of a sudden have invisible ships right next to us????

And that is interesting...no updates in quite a while...are the Devs on vacation/finals/graduating? With the post seeking new staff has the staff all resigned??

Or do we all of a sudden have invisible ships right next to us????

If you mean invisible regular-enemy-AI ships, maybe that is an issue too, but I don't think that's what's happening here. When it happened to me I recall looking at my hp bar, and the way the damage was dealt to me was exactly the same as you'd expect from a couple players on cannons- it wasn't all at once, it was dealt in multiple "volleys" over a period of several seconds. Also, the ship that sank me was sailing no more than a ship's length away from me when it happened, and that same ship had just done the same thing to the ship that was sailing just ahead of me. I wish I had been recording when it happened.

Last edited:
And that is interesting...no updates in quite a while...are the Devs on vacation/finals/graduating? With the post seeking new staff has the staff all resigned??
I feel like it could be a combination of finals (for staff in college), resignations, and it seems like a large update is coming soon. The system status page states that an update is coming in the near future. Also, the majority of the times that TLOPO has had an extended period of no updates, it has released a large update.
Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 10.03.39 PM.png

Wow.. they are gonna lose a ton of players with that update. I know lots of people still on 32 bit and simply can't afford to upgrade their entire OS. But it is what it is.. wonder if we can expect any improvment out of it :)

Wow.. they are gonna lose a ton of players with that update. I know lots of people still on 32 bit and simply can't afford to upgrade their entire OS. But it is what it is.. wonder if we can expect any improvment out of it :)
Yes, lol, my system, technically the one I'm supposed to play on, is an older windows xp system now running windows 7 or 10, but only 32bit.

Yes, lol, my system, technically the one I'm supposed to play on, is an older windows xp system now running windows 7 or 10, but only 32bit.
My desktop is in the same boat. Used to run Windows XP, now runs Windows 7, and soon to not be able to run TLOPO. Although, I do have a laptop that is 64 bit so it is not heartbreaking.

It seems more likely to me that this is a random glitch as opposed to being a hacker.

Whether it was a hacker, or someone exploiting a glitch, I don't know, but when it happened to me it was clear that someone was behind it.

Myself and one other ship had just barely set sail from Padres on Abassa. The other ship was sailing just ahead of me, and we were both heading in the same direction. Neither of us had fired at anything. Shortly after getting underway, a war frigate appeared in the distance. It was sailing perpendicular to us. Seconds after it appeared, it made a hard 90 degree turn and beelined directly towards us. It passed the ship in front of me at a distance of about a ship's length. While it was passing by, the ship ahead of me sank. The frigate then continued towards me. I started taking damage when the frigate began passing by me. The damage was not dealt all at once, it occurred over several volleys, and was exactly the same pattern as you'd expect from someone on a cannon. Then I sank too.

It seems more likely to me that this is a random glitch as opposed to being a hacker.
My experiences with this did not suggest bug or glitch to me, when I first read of it I thought someone just didn't notice an enemy with explosive broadsides or a new bug but when I saw it for myself it seemed obvious that it was an exploit or hack. When you see it first hand you will understand. It's usually happening in the most popular sailing areas, you can sail from less crowded places and you will not likely see it.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't go as far as to say they're doing nothing or that they are unaware of the issue. I said they're not acknowledging the problem as such in the forums. I'm sure they are busy with myriad things, as are we all.
And this was only mentioned by me because I thought Arabella's comment was classic Soviet-style deflection, and very amusing! I love sarcasm, irony and a good joke, whenever possible.
Now I know Arabella wasn't joking, but it was extremely funny, to me anyways.
So yeah.

Crash -->""Well, I didn't go as far as to say they're doing nothing or that they are unaware of the issue.""

Really?

LOL@Arabella's comment!
Crickets... obviously the devs are clueless here and have no idea what to do to resolve this issue.

Sorry crash, you are a pompous butt and keep proving it with snide defenses to other people catching your tripe. YES I'm talking about you, and it will be the last time I read your posts. Even though I haven't even read the rest of this thread, I know what you will write. And yes, report this as a personal attack because it is. It's also the truth. Oh, and I didn't type butt either.

Davy, I've upset you now, and I am truly sorry for that.
I think you're reading way too much into my comments and general good humor here.
Without going into elaborate and time consuming line-item referencing/quoting, let me suffice to say that my conclusions are based merely on the response, and lack there of, of any meaningful dialogue regarding the problem.
Now, a simple comment such as; "we are aware of the issue" or anything to that effect would probably allay the concerns of most here.
Sorry, crash, theres a difference between humor and meanest. And you don't have a sense of humor.

Back