TLOPO Trading Teaser

To you people against trading, may I ask why you think trading will ruin the game? I never understood how you people could feel so strongly against someone being able to get an item. It doesn't even have an effect on your gameplay so why are you so against people getting an item they've been wanting? I am always in support of trading in games with RNG based looting, because some people are just incredibly unlucky and can never get an item they search for relentlessly.

In many cases, if a game has too many things that grant instant gratification, it's very unhealthy. I'll explain. In short, famed/legendary items are Pirates Online's version of end game content. It's what keeps people playing. You're meant to spend your time on your character, from level 1 to 50 and beyond, hunting for these illustrious prizes. It's not meant to be easy. One look at these items' potency should tell you they shouldn't be easy to get.

On the other hand, gold is very easy to get (which I assume will be the most common currency used by players). And with 200,000 being the cap, it means a lot of people will be buying up these items fairly quickly. They'll no longer be valuable. It'll get to a point where if you see a Thunderspine sword, you'll just go meh.

Yeah, without trading they are very hard to get, but it's meant to be that way for a good reason. Don't seek satisfaction in instant gratification. If you find it, it will be short lived.

Last edited:
If this is real, not a prank: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What? A system where you can overcome the random chance of looting and instead trade something you don't particularly like for something you would like more? A system where instead of spending hours upon hours of getting duplicate items, never being gifted what you want by the TLOPO Gods, you can instead trade an item you may not want that someone else has been wasting time looting a lot for an item you want that they don't want? Whaaat? How could they!! The monsters!

Its as if the items will just come raining from the sky now!!!!11 No one will ever have to loot again!!11!!

If people didn't feel the need to loot, they wouldn't play. They'd get bored and quit. Looting is the end game content for TLOPO, as it is for pretty much any MMO.
The loot still has to come from somewhere doesn't it? I also doubt many people are going to be trading their legendary and famed weapons for absolutely nothing in return. They are going to trade them for things they lack.

If people didn't feel the need to loot, they wouldn't play. They'd get bored and quit. Looting is the end game content for TLOPO, as it is for pretty much any MMO.
Okay but not everyone wants to sit there and loot 24/7 with no reward. The point is that people are going to get bored and quit either way. People that want to loot can loot; people that want to get items and use them to enjoy playing the game in other ways with said items can do that. If you want to get items from loot then do it, but don't force everyone else to just because you'd get bored without it. I know a ton of people that have quit loot based games because they couldn't get an item after trying for ages, and they had no other way to get it. Eventually, you get sick of trying to get it and quit anyway. End game should be reserved for content, not for luck.

I see two immediate problems with this.

1. If an account gets hacked, all of the goods items on there will be traded away from crudes

2. In my opinion, looting is a big part of the game, and this trading system will pretty much take away the meaning of looting which is probably the most popular aspect of the game.

I see two immediate problems with this.

1. If an account gets hacked, all of the goods items on there will be traded away from crudes

Not sure about #1 I have seen this on other games but usually in games where you can buy in game money for real cash. Tlopo being free to play and as old as it is not sure this would ever become an issue.

Looting is a big part of the game for sure but not sure that it would die off - I guess you might lose a few players but you would also have the loot farmers who want to finance a full fleet of custom ships and such. Might make looting a bigger part of the game on some aspects. Farming is a big part of a lot of games.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of trading. But I think the game needs several changes before it could be implemented in a healthy way. For one, there aren't really enough items in existence to have a functioning economy. And with gold being so worthless -- comparatively speaking -- we would have to raise the cap so people could charge their own made up prices that, in the players' eyes, reflect the value of the item.

Here's a random idea that I just had to give an example of how new content could make trading cool: Create a new legendary weapon that is looted in the form of 3 shards that must be reforged, with each shard being a separate drop. They could even come from 3 different bosses. Now I realize this is very much like other MMO's, and you've all likely seen something similar. I believe this is the kind of thing (conceptually) needed to make trading work. Perhaps TLOPO will never see the addition of such things, and that would be understandable. But with the way the game is now...trading isn't a great idea.

What? A system where you can overcome the random chance of looting and instead trade something you don't particularly like for something you would like more? A system where instead of spending hours upon hours of getting duplicate items, never being gifted what you want by the TLOPO Gods, you can instead trade an item you may not want that someone else has been wasting time looting a lot for an item you want that they don't want? Whaaat? How could they!! The monsters!

Its as if the items will just come raining from the sky now!!!!11 No one will ever have to loot again!!11!!

I agree with dreadful. If there is trading there is no need to loot. If there is no need to loot there is no need to get good items. If there is no need to get good items than there is no need to play.

I agree with dreadful. If there is trading there is no need to loot. If there is no need to loot there is no need to get good items. If there is no need to get good items than there is no need to play.
I like the syllogism but like @Bart Gunshot said, somebody is going to have to get them. I bet less than 200 people have Silver Freeze/Lost Sword etc so it's gotta come from somewhere. Besides, nobody is forcing you to trade... you can still loot items without trading lol.
PS... the syllogism had too many terms to be valid ;)

The amount of sarcasm in this post is killing me.

Trading has no place in TLOPO.

To you people against trading, may I ask why you think trading will ruin the game? I never understood how you people could feel so strongly against someone being able to get an item. It doesn't even have an effect on your gameplay so why are you so against people getting an item they've been wanting? I am always in support of trading in games with RNG based looting, because some people are just incredibly unlucky and can never get an item they search for relentlessly.

I will tell you why. Ask yourself what keeps you playing day after day? Is it socializing with your guild? Then most likely trading will have little effect on those people.

Is it because of that elusive item that you want? Ok... What if you can get it by trading. What then? Now you have everything you wanted in the game. Do you know what happens to those people? They get bored and move on to another game.

Well this is actually a genius idea (and a good alternative to the obsolete "player friend" button), I've always wanted to give some spare gold to my friend who also plays the game to help him buy a War Brig he's saving up for. Not to mention you could acquire some cool items with trades. To anyone concerned about trading between your own player characters, I'm pretty sure both characters would have to be online at the same time, so it would be effectively impossible (but not 100% sure so don't quote me).

On a side note, there's a test server? I thought the beta servers were the test server.

Yes there is a separate server for testing updates prior to releasing them to Beta.

I would not mind being able to trade items to other characters in my own account. You can give gold to a friend now by losing on purpose in poker.

Back