Release Notes 2017-7-12 tlopo-rc-v1.3.0

I agree with this point. I was going to actually say the exact same thing but I first wanted to see if someone else would bring it up. I feel as though had it been the other way around the devs would have waited until windows and Mac could play it rather then just Mac being able to play it.

In addition, I feel as though the Mac community is handling this very well. I admit I am sort of mad about it but it's not my choice. Had this been the other way around I think windows people would be very vocal and insulting towards the devs for allowing this to happen. So in my opinion the whole situation is kind of unfair for the Mac users.

Devs, next time please make sure the update works for everyone before implementing it. :) We are all in this together stay strong people. XD
I am a Windows user, and I know I wouldn't handle it as you mentioned. Try to avoid being judgemental of other gamers and their choices of platform. :) On the point of them pushing the update, this issue may not have reared its head in initial testing, so they pushed it to beta, rather than hold it. Besides, the game is still in beta, which means it's still being tested, by us, the players. I'm sure you'll be able to play soon :)

Is there a possible ETA of when the game will be fix for mac players? I'm just curious, I don't want to rush you guys!
P.S. Thank you for bringing back a piece of my childhoood, love the game!

2017-7-12 tlopo-rc-v1.3.0
Features

• Damage over time, heal over time, and other buff/debuff effects have been added!
Bugfixes

• Fixed several crashes with ships.
    • Fixed a crash that caused a district reset after leaving an area in rare circumstances.
    • Fixed issues that caused Open Fire and Take Cover to not work properly.
    • Fixed an issue where Voodoo Staff would use double the amount of voodoo necessary for casts.
    • Fixed some issues regarding "Unknown Buffs"
    • Fixed a bug where HP regeneration would not work if you were sent to jail.
    • Fixed a crash with Bayonet Disable.
    • Fixed some cosmetic issues with item cards for items with long names.
Maintenance

• Added some security measures to protect assets.
    • Addressed a memory leak within our audio engine. Thanks for everyone's feedback on this issue!
    • Adjusted the way tracebacks in crash logs are handled.
    • Code cleanup.
    • Revised some security protocols within the client.
Since the update the game takes forever to load up, i mean like over 10 minutes, my settings that i change in game don't ever keep so i always have to change them back to what i want them to

I also am hugely grateful to the team that is bringing the game back to us.

However, I am curious as to why, rather than cutting a good proportion of players out of the game for an extended period of time, the decision was not made to leave the game as was while these problems with the engine are resolved and tested off line. For example, even at this late stage, can the engine not be rolled back to the last working incarnation without rolling back players' stats?

xxx
This, and the TLOPO team has not offered any sort of update on how they've been doing to solve this issue. Why should a good proportion of the players have to sit here being unable to play while the staff does not say anything whatsoever on the matter? I'm grateful for the TLOPO team for bringing back our beloved game really, but this is getting a wee bit ridiculous that they seem to remain completely silent on the macOS users.

This, and the TLOPO team has not offered any sort of update on how they've been doing to solve this issue. Why should a good proportion of the players have to sit here being unable to play while the staff does not say anything whatsoever on the matter? I'm grateful for the TLOPO team for bringing back our beloved game really, but this is getting a wee bit ridiculous that they seem to remain completely silent on the macOS users.

Davy Darkrage has diligently replied to a few threads that a fix is being worked on. There are various threads out there from Mac users that are asking for ETAs and none has been given, which I don't blame the Devs for. They are working with an older engine, and have to be careful with what they tweak. If they gave the wrong assumption, and didn't meet that deadline, the macOS players would grumble even more (kinda like wanting an ETA for their major update a couple months back). While I am bummed that Mac users cannot play currently, it seemed to be an unforeseen error after they had already updated the servers to 1.3. And hindsight is 20/20. I'm sure they'd have held off on implementing it had they known issues with Mac would pop up prior to the overhaul.

I'm just glad that all of our pirates' data is safely stored and we can continue from where we left off "in due time". My hunch is I don't think it should be much longer, probably a couple days at most. Remember most of our devs are busy during the weekdays with other jobs or activities... Thus they may or may not be able to do as many fixes during the work week as they would like to.

Keep yer chin up! I'm sure the winds will be back in our sails soon!
-T

wow these guys/gals work on this for us for free, I know this is probably a labor of love with countless hours of thankless work (aside from whatever satisfaction they get out of keeping this game alive).

I for one applaud your efforts and hope the fix for the Dev team is not to difficult....

THANKS FOR THE HARD WORK............
****By the way I also am A Mac user****

Just going to sneak in a little reminder... Sometimes it helps to put yourself in other people's shoes for at least a moment... It helps with empathy. Most of us work of have worked in some aspect. There is no worse feeling than working... or perhaps donating time for free to work hard for someone.. and being made to feel unappreciated. I'm a former firefighter but I remember well being a volunteer firefighter and being made to feel that way even after saving some people's lives!!!!!! This isn't a Mac or Windows issue at it's core... It's a heart issue. No one is out to get you or to inconvenience you... They've shown dedication and love for the game and community... Sure mistakes are made... We all do. Sometimes there is an unforeseen problem that later comes back to bite you in the bottom... But it if was your bottom... I know you would want a little understanding and empathy instead of being beat up about it... If you're like me... You're good enough at beating yourself up when you make mistakes... You most certainly don't need a monkey pile of others to help you with the task... Love and appreciation to all of the community! I appreciate you and consider you a part of my family! Good fortune and safe journeys, 'til next we meet! If you need a smile, some encouragement or a laugh... Take some time to visit some of my albums. Maybe it will cheer your day just a little :) <3

Last edited:
Man, maybe you should ask them to get your money back. Surely with how ridiculous it is they will give it back. Wait....

Davy Darkrage has diligently replied to a few threads that a fix is being worked on. There are various threads out there from Mac users that are asking for ETAs and none has been given, which I don't blame the Devs for. They are working with an older engine, and have to be careful with what they tweak. If they gave the wrong assumption, and didn't meet that deadline, the macOS players would grumble even more (kinda like wanting an ETA for their major update a couple months back). While I am bummed that Mac users cannot play currently, it seemed to be an unforeseen error after they had already updated the servers to 1.3. And hindsight is 20/20. I'm sure they'd have held off on implementing it had they known issues with Mac would pop up prior to the overhaul.

I'm just glad that all of our pirates' data is safely stored and we can continue from where we left off "in due time". My hunch is I don't think it should be much longer, probably a couple days at most. Remember most of our devs are busy during the weekdays with other jobs or activities... Thus they may or may not be able to do as many fixes during the work week as they would like to.

Keep yer chin up! I'm sure the winds will be back in our sails soon!
-T
I appreciate the response, and I understand that they're working really hard to fix the issue as soon as possible. TLOPO is currently down for an update, so hopefully that will fix macOS.

Man, maybe you should ask them to get your money back. Surely with how ridiculous it is they will give it back. Wait....
What does money have to do this? :p

What does money have to do this? :p
Simple. Don't complain as if they owe you anything. They're not asking for any money for your play time you've invested and will continue to have when they fix it. They're doing something free, that should be able to pay them a living wage after they get home from working. Whats ridiculous is that you feel its appropriate to complain about it.

Simple. Don't complain as if they owe you anything. They're not asking for any money for your play time you've invested and will continue to have when they fix it. They're doing something free, that should be able to pay them a living wage after they get home from working. Whats ridiculous is that you feel its appropriate to complain about it.
Technically they do owe us (for macOS users at least) something, which is a fix for the macOS client so that they can play. I'm not demanding anything like uh, a free famed weapon as a redeem code, to make up for what had happened in their latest update. Being able to play the game is one of their high priorities - if they didn't care about a certain proportion of the players, why would they be recreating POTCO in the first place?

Im totally fine that the windows version is up and going, im mean at least they get to play and enjoy it, i dont mind waiting, it not our fault that we have macs and they are having problems with it, i mean i believe its quite common for mac being a tad harder on games than windows

Do we even know this update is for the Mac users? If it isn't, we at least know some of the dev are working on something and that they are still trying to fix the issue with the Mac users.

>Lets Pray It Is For The Mac Users Though<

Technically they do owe us (for macOS users at least) something

No one owes anyone anything. If this were a paid service, you demanding an explanation or a fix would be acceptable.
  • This game is in its beta stages, expect a lot of things to go wrong
  • The individuals working on this game are not bound by anything (except dedication and decency) to continue using up a large percentage of their own skills, time and money to completely remake a dead game
  • They probably drop so many things just to be able to work on recreating this game and it probably affects them in real life to some extent, so be thankful you're not in their place and just wait. I'm sure you can find one of many things to do as they work on finding a fix (if it hasn't been fixed already)
  • They do not need to justify any of their choices to us - they took a major responsibility by deciding to remake the game, they should decide what's best for it
if they didn't care about a certain proportion of the players, why would they be recreating POTCO in the first place?

They gave a concise explanation as to why macOS users will not be able to play and stated that they were working on a fix on many occasions. Further complaints and nagging won't fix the issue.

I mean guys... honestly the Dev team could have just been like, ''we are gonna recreate a playable form of pirates online for ourselves and not let anybody else play.'' To be honest that would have been alot easier for them to do than to rebuild it and give everyone that used to love it access but instead of doing that out of the kindness of their hearts they have made the game playable to all of us old fans. However it seems that everytime something goes wrong we have groups of people that jump down the devs throats as though the world is going to end because we cant play.
Life goes on. My understanding is that Mac operating systems are always a bit dodgy when it comes to gaming and often MacOS doesnt quite agree with gaming platforms. It isn't as easy as people think to fix something on a game this scale otherwise everybody here talking would be able to program their own version of pirates by themselves. These Devs work hard and they cant help the fact that someones operating system does not want to cooperate with an update. They try as hard as they can to keep us updated but what if they did give us a deadline and by that deadline it still didn't work what would happen is everyone would complain and moan about it and make things even worse.
This volunteer job they are not getting paid for is hard enough without every Mac user that enjoys the game breathing down their necks for info and updates like its some kind of massive humanitarian disaster that a portion of the community cannot play.

Technically they do owe us (for macOS users at least) something, which is a fix for the macOS client so that they can play. I'm not demanding anything like uh, a free famed weapon as a redeem code, to make up for what had happened in their latest update. Being able to play the game is one of their high priorities - if they didn't care about a certain proportion of the players, why would they be recreating POTCO in the first place?

They'll say all they want, most of the people talking back are the ones that've been able to play.

No one owes anyone anything. If this were a paid service, you demanding an explanation or a fix would be acceptable.
  • This game is in its beta stages, expect a lot of things to go wrong
  • The individuals working on this game are not bound by anything (except dedication and decency) to continue using up a large percentage of their own skills, time and money to completely remake a dead game
  • They probably drop so many things just to be able to work on recreating this game and it probably affects them in real life to some extent, so be thankful you're not in their place and just wait. I'm sure you can find one of many things to do as they work on finding a fix (if it hasn't been fixed already)
  • They do not need to justify any of their choices to us - they took a major responsibility by deciding to remake the game, they should decide what's best for it
They gave a concise explanation as to why macOS users will not be able to play and stated that they were working on a fix on many occasions. Further complaints and nagging won't fix the issue.
If they're going to run a private server, they need to ensure that the game can run for all players that use Windows, macOS, and Linux (in the future if they release), so yes they do owe a fix for macOS users once the game's client stops working on the machine. That's like saying they shouldn't have to fix the macOS issue because they don't owe us anything, which is pretty dumb in my opinion. I've never ignored the fact that this is a volunteer project they're doing. If you read one of my previous comments, you would know that I'm well aware that they're trying their hardest to release a fix as soon as possible, and that I care very much about them reviving a game closed by Disney. Please pay attention next time.

Last edited:
If they're going to run a private server, they need to ensure sure the game can run for all players that use Windows, macOs, and Linux (in the future if they release)

Why? Why do they need to ensure anything? As I stated they could just shut it down entirely and only make it playable to themselves and that would be much easier than keeping it so that we can all play. Fact is they don't have to do anything They could just do the easy thing which would be to remove the version for MacOS that would certainly fix the problem. The point everyone here is making is that they do not have to do anything, but they are trying and that is something to be proud of at least they are putting forth an effort.
What seems pretty dumb to me is the sense of entitlement required to say that people who make no money working on a project for thousands of other people 'Should' do anything.
It sounds just like the complaints I saw months ago when they shut the entire game down for nearly four months for the big update people were coming around demanding information and pestering the devs about release dates for no reason. The fact is things are not going to work sometimes this is not a professional team with a billion dollar budget to work on a game its a group of people with lives and real problems who dedicate their freetime to a project that is essentially a gift to the rest of us who sit back whining because something isn't working right for us. Its as simple as finding something else to do until the game works again for you.

Back