Suggestion Fix General Hex's Level to 30

? I'm under the impression that it was and is about General Hex not always being high enough level to be a red tag enemy all the time for a lvl50 player. This means that the drop rate for skull chests is lower for lvl50 players which also means this legendary is tougher to get than the others even though General Hex is a lower lvl boss. Of course you can trick the game by bringing along a low lvl alt or friend that he will drop skulls more reliably for but no, you just want it easy.
I wonder if that theory even holds up these days.

What theory are you referring to?
Lower level alt to the fight to theoretically improve loot in some way. I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.
I have some idea, but probably wrong.
this is off topic and I shouldn't have asked so please pm if you care to.

Lower level alt to the fight to theoretically improve loot in some way. I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.
I have some idea, but probably wrong.
this is off topic and I shouldn't have asked so please pm if you care to.
Yes, from someone who does this only all the time; always bring your noob alt to the fight. The loot rocks, except for the noob, who gets junk in the skulls due to the lower level thingy.
But hey, one day the noob gets an apprentice of his own, and the cycle pays it back.
But what do I know with 18 alts...

Yes, from someone who does this only all the time; always bring your noob alt to the fight. The loot rocks, except for the noob, who gets junk in the skulls due to the lower level thingy.
But hey, one day the noob gets an apprentice of his own, and the cycle pays it back.
But what do I know with 18 alts...
You can get great items for your alt too by only ranking one or two types of weapons as he/she levels.

Well, I can’t force you to pull your fingers out of your ears. I’d just encourage you to not immediately disregard a suggestion because those gosh darned elootists are the ones who suggested it.

People never get so up in arms over suggestions to tweak SVS or sailing. It's only with loot-related issues that the same five or so people immediately show up to vehemently oppose any minor suggestion, no matter what it is.

People who oppose your suggestion actually provided reasons for their opposition. None of those reasons are the one you are citing here.

You should go back and reread the thread. Or you and your buddies can resume shouting down and mischaracterizing the arguements of those who simply disagree with you.

Whether you want to admit it or not but they are the most active members of this community and play the game the most providing the devs with feedback and criticism.
But that doesnt build a community.

Helping lower level players get into the game provides a larger test population and more diversity hence more testing than the same people doing the same thing over and over ad infinitem.

As a person who spends most of their time helping low level players figure out the game I can tell you that looting is not the heart and soul of TLOPO.

Wanting to make changes that are negative for lower level questers is just inconsiderate.

But that doesnt build a community.

Helping lower level players get into the game provides a larger test population and more diversity hence more testing than the same people doing the same thing over and over ad infinitem.

As a person who spends most of their time helping low level players figure out the game I can tell you that looting is not the heart and soul of TLOPO.

Wanting to make changes that are negative for lower level questers is just inconsiderate.
You're hopelessly exaggerating the negative effects of raising his level above lvl 27.

Well, there are bosses of all levels so that anyone range of player lvl can have a boss to kill. If it were raised, then lower lvls who go to misty mire cant kill him..
General Sandspine is almost exactly 2 minutes away, but I can see where you are coming from. However this boss was given the ability to drop the most powerful doll in the game. Its not like this boss can't and won't reach these levels as he mostly appears above level 25 anyway. Given that he drops the only year-round legendary doll in the game I do not think it'd be inhumane to raise his level to 27 to 30 to accommodate. His health won't go too far up and he'd still be just as challenging

I do think that the devs made a mistake giving that weapon to THIS boss.

Low level players who don't know where all the bosses are inadvertently encounter general hex simply traveling into the misty mire to do quests.
Fixing his level to be on the high range just increases their problems working in that area. You would realize this if you ever tried to help lower level players

Let me preface this by saying this is my opinion. This weapon should honestly be moved to Devil Root. I get the whole Jolly Roger's generals thing with DH and Hex, but since this place is a heavily used passage for low levels doing questing and killing hex. Mastered pirates should honestly leave this area to them (not that it's their fault). Having a bunch of mastered pirates insta-killing Hex won't help in the slightest for low levels if they can't get a hit. The devs have eliminated a potential great low to mid level boss for low levels to fight in the search for the Lost Sword or Silver Freeze since they were removed from the loot pool. Giving the strongest doll in the game to such a low level boss was not the best idea, mostly because of the heavier high level pirate traffic and getting rid of LS and SF. Unlike JSB (prior to change), which actually helped everyone but hardcore looters, this one actually makes things more inconvenient for both low and high level pirates. They should give it to Devil Root, because we all know hes going to get one soon.
I agree devil root or Timothy Dartan would be better than hex

Have to disagree here, as I say before hex is fine the way he his. It give a huge challenge for hard core looter by design. And yes, I do understand the fact high level players can insta-killing Hex, while low players may not have to chance to hit Hex. However, low players can simply find a good quiet server. get their doll at least level 25, have their sword that have Drain Voodoo or Voodoo Damage and pretty much farm away if there in their correct level. Also, I have to disagree moving the legendary to Devil Root and the main reason is that he doesn't fit the theme getting a legendary doll called "Calypso's Radiance". Seems weird getting a legendary from Devil Root with that legendary doll name. Plus Devil Root deserve a much better legendary then a doll. As for Timothy Dartan, like why? He like the same level as Hex except in a different area. What different does it make?? I wouldn't be surprise if Timothy Dartan drop he own legendary in the future. Also forgot to point out that General Hex drop the strongest doll in the game, but I don't think it like the doll is broken or may help you for your advantage even if your high level or low level pirates. The only thing I make use of it is Lift Drain, now if it was +3 then it a different story. I don't have the doll yet. So, it hard to judge anyway.

Last edited:
After effectively testing the tag issue due to level differences between my Lv. 50, and moving down to a Lv. 42, I can in fact say that I have noticed a difference in the drops, not by much, but enough to tell. I will have to agree with the OP.

Firstly, I feel that since General Hex is considered the second toughest of Jolly's generals, and now has an Exclusive Legendary doll, it would at least warrant bumping him into the level range of his big brother, General Darkhart. A simple tweak (from a choice standpoint), changing his meager 23-30 level range up to something more threatening, let's say 26-33, or even up to Darkhart's 28-35 would be that General Hex would no longer appear Green to higher leveled players, and instead have a basic minimum of appearing with a Yellow nametag, which definitely drives up loot chances by a little bit.

Secondarily, I feel as if the argument in which bumping Hex's level is a bad choice due to the fact that there is an active quest linked with the boss,is currently bloated far more than it needs to be. Seeing as General Hex is not only easy to locate and travel to, and is also now linked with a Legendary drop (obviously), the method of completing the quest would be just the same as a player of average level looking to defeat Darkhart in the easiest manner possible. If you're level 25 and you're looking to beat the snot out of a boss without being forced to do it solo, what do you do? You go to Abassa and you walk to the large group of players crowding and blowing the boss to bits.

Hex also has a huge Achilles Heel in which he is a Voodoo Doll user himself, meaning, take a player with any sort of weapon that can drain voodoo from the boss, and in no time at all the boss is stuck using the lower voodoo casts due to a constant lack of sufficient voodoo.

Counter Claim/s

A more personal gripe over anything, I feel like the methodology behind obtaining the Doll is flawed either way you dice it. Higher level players can't obtain it on a regular basis (by legendary standards) due to a level fluctuation, and lower level players (in which the surrounding area caters to) have an Absolute 0% chance in obtaining the Doll up until a minimum of Level 25 in both Doll AND Notoriety, far past the point in which Misty Mire is actively viable.

People who oppose your suggestion actually provided reasons for their opposition. None of those reasons are the one you are citing here.

You should go back and reread the thread. Or you and your buddies can resume shouting down and mischaracterizing the arguements of those who simply disagree with you.
Actually, most of the posts aren't disagreeing with beggar the person, just what is being requested. However people turn to defensive personal attacks when they have no compelling or logical answers for rebuttal. It's just human nature. I try not to take it personally, but sometimes it's difficult to ignore and not defend yourself when you think you are the target.

After effectively testing the tag issue due to level differences between my Lv. 50, and moving down to a Lv. 42, I can in fact say that I have noticed a difference in the drops, not by much, but enough to tell. I will have to agree with the OP.

Firstly, I feel that since General Hex is considered the second toughest of Jolly's generals, and now has an Exclusive Legendary doll, it would at least warrant bumping him into the level range of his big brother, General Darkhart. A simple tweak (from a choice standpoint), changing his meager 23-30 level range up to something more threatening, let's say 26-33, or even up to Darkhart's 28-35 would be that General Hex would no longer appear Green to higher leveled players, and instead have a basic minimum of appearing with a Yellow nametag, which definitely drives up loot chances by a little bit.

Secondarily, I feel as if the argument in which bumping Hex's level is a bad choice due to the fact that there is an active quest linked with the boss,is currently bloated far more than it needs to be. Seeing as General Hex is not only easy to locate and travel to, and is also now linked with a Legendary drop (obviously), the method of completing the quest would be just the same as a player of average level looking to defeat Darkhart in the easiest manner possible. If you're level 25 and you're looking to beat the snot out of a boss without being forced to do it solo, what do you do? You go to Abassa and you walk to the large group of players crowding and blowing the boss to bits.

Hex also has a huge Achilles Heel in which he is a Voodoo Doll user himself, meaning, take a player with any sort of weapon that can drain voodoo from the boss, and in no time at all the boss is stuck using the lower voodoo casts due to a constant lack of sufficient voodoo.

Counter Claim/s

A more personal gripe over anything, I feel like the methodology behind obtaining the Doll is flawed either way you dice it. Higher level players can't obtain it on a regular basis (by legendary standards) due to a level fluctuation, and lower level players (in which the surrounding area caters to) have an Absolute 0% chance in obtaining the Doll up until a minimum of Level 25 in both Doll AND Notoriety, far past the point in which Misty Mire is actively viable.
Um, so my takeaway from your "brief" dissertation is that you comprehend deanaug's comments previously, paraphrased below, concerning a bump in General Hex's level;

"...that will never happen"

I rebutted all opposing arguments with fairness and cordiality. The comment that this quote was in response to contained no such arguments. There's a difference between people with legitimate differences of opinion and people who default to spite and litigiousness whenever certain members of the community post anything; this thread contains heaping portions of both.

Last edited:
Back