Discussion MEGATHREAD: Downtime Discussion

When do you think the game will reopen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey everyone, I played POTCO back when I was a kid. I recently tried playing this game with my friend who I used to play with a long time ago back in the old days. This was maybe a month ago and we noticed a lot of crashes, a lot of bugs and also some really bad frame rate. I am aware this is still a work in progress, the bugs don't bother me, really only the frame rate. But I just got done watching the #9 developer stream recap. The frame rate looks to be about a million times better, glitches/ bugs look fixed. It looks like the amazing game I played when I was younger. The only thing is the servers are down for extended server maintenance and I have been checking back for maybe about a week now hoping to play it but every time I check back I see that it is down. Is there any estimate of when we will be able to set sail again?

Since this thread is about what we're doing with our downtime (outside of thinking about launch time... lol) I've learnt to understand the immense complexity and unpredictability of programming more than I did before.

Had far more philosophical thoughts and insights into life (just joking). Spent more time with my family and watched more movies than when TLOPO is running. Cooked more nice meals.

Spent time fixing my/our computers and making them better, stronger and more stable (Oops...just remembered I got a power supply to replace!) Even tried another game Orcs Must Die Unchained, at which I'm useless cause I don't have the twitch reflexes and mouse skills you need, remembered Plants vs Zombies. Finally week by week I have come to a deeper and more profound belief that TLOPO is closer to returning than it was last week! ;)
:pirate ship: :treasure::flag1:

IMHO what does all this matter? For me it is the knowledge that "at some point" my favourite game will return and will be looked after and worked on by fellow fans and enthusiasts (for free). My hat is off to all the staff and community alike. Without a community there would be no reason to remake the game, and without the devs, no way to bring it back! So a heartfelt thanks to everyone for keeping the hopes, dreams and expectations alive, and may we all meet soon on the sun kissed seas of the Caribbean. Until then I will raise a flagon of rum to you all.

If i'm not mistaken pretty sure they said it would be out by the release of the movie

It says that it MAY be released on or near the movie, and thats IF it were ready. It is possible that there are some more bugs they found...

Yeah, I know. Even then, we're well a way into May now. They've only got ~20 days to keep to their word. I imagine it'll be out by then, though.

~20 days to keep what word? As far as I read, they never gave a true timeline to the release...

Bort's status update as of 5/14/2017, 7:44 pm est:

"Theory: The game was actually forced to shut down and the team is trying to make it easier for us to stomach."

Also, your status update is quite uncalled for. I am pretty dang sure that the TLOPO team wouldnt keep us in suspense, and then later reveal that it was not meant to be... You do not have to be so... disrespectful to the devs for REMAKING an entire game for YOUR fun... and your I'm not going to believe your "I'm not disrespecting the devs." posting if your actions say otherwise.

On a brighter note... I'm back! Still waiting anxiously, but I can do that for a game I love! And that May 12th was my 19th Birthday. Did I mention that I'm BAAAACK? Good job Devs, by the way, recently watched the Dev Stream #9, and I'm quite impressed! Keep it up!

@MMDR = 4 Letters
31 days in May
1 = How many slinkies I have in my possession
31 - 4 - 1 = 26

Hmmm.... what could this mean? Further research must be made.

@MMDR = 4 Letters
31 days in May
31 + 4 = 35
Grey Vice = 8 Letters
1 = How many slinkies I have in my possession
35 - 8 - 1 = 26

26 = 26

GAME RELEASE CONFIRMED MAY 26 DAY OF POTC: DMTNT
Theories like this are my absolute favorite part of this thread. There hasn't been any of these in a while. I thank you.

Why do you only own 1 slinky?

It says that it MAY be released on or near the movie, and thats IF it were ready. It is possible that there are some more bugs they found...

~20 days to keep what word? As far as I read, they never gave a true timeline to the release...

Bort's status update as of 5/14/2017, 7:44 pm est:

"Theory: The game was actually forced to shut down and the team is trying to make it easier for us to stomach."

Also, your status update is quite uncalled for. I am pretty dang sure that the TLOPO team wouldnt keep us in suspense, and then later reveal that it was not meant to be... You do not have to be so... disrespectful to the devs for REMAKING an entire game for YOUR fun... and your I'm not going to believe your "I'm not disrespecting the devs." posting if your actions say otherwise.

On a brighter note... I'm back! Still waiting anxiously, but I can do that for a game I love! And that May 12th was my 19th Birthday. Did I mention that I'm BAAAACK? Good job Devs, by the way, recently watched the Dev Stream #9, and I'm quite impressed! Keep it up!

First of all, they explicitly said on stream that it would take less than 3 months, the time the transition from alpha to beta took. Second off, that status was merely a joke and I am fully aware that's not the case. Even if it wasn't, snooping through posts to expose people you're arguing with is kind of low, especially if it's just to snuggle up to the devs. While at it, let's talk about my status literally right before that one:
"Sometimes I forget how good it is playing TLOPO for free. Gotta give thanks for that."
That and I've thanked the developers and expressed my love for TLOPO many times on the forum while still giving criticisms in hopes that devs will hear.

https://tlopo.com/news/post/73/

"While we don’t have a set reopening date, we promise that the hiatus will be MUCH SHORTER than it was between Alpha and Beta."
Not sure what your point is exactly here, but it's been 72 days and Alpha - Beta was 80. So they are running out of time to keep that word, and really, they already have not been able to unless you consider an 8 day difference "MUCH shorter".

Back