Sea of Thieves MMORPG 2016

For me, that pitch was very vague but with the right amount dazzle.

on the lighter side, what perked my interest was the picture of the kraken spattered across that rock. made me think of all the lovely words the potco team told in their early developer vids.

Rare are a British company, I don't know if they have any former Disney devs onboard but they do have a distinctive style and their earlier games were very popular, the company was acquired by Microsoft in 2002, so they have the funding available to do a good job of it. I have great hopes for this game!

Yarr! Thanks be to ye pirates for yer interest shown, arrrr! :flag: 'Tis best for me now to put aside me RUM & oblige said questions above, savvy? (Me best be answerin' straight & true with as much sobreity as me 'one' good limb can muster).

WHO BE I?
As tempting as it be, I be not directly affiliated with Sea of Thieves game development, Rare Ltd., or Microsoft. Rather instead, I be a ex-POTCO player just like yerself (playing POTCO for approximately 4 years until the flames were extinguished by Disney). With that said, I be insightful of the needs of the community itself along with understanding the demand & interests shown towards pirate-genre gaming.

In retrospect, I be a genuine pirate (at-heart) whom is intimately aware with how well the POTCO & the ex-POTCO community have remained intact despite great challenges endured.

"SEA OF THIEVES" BE WHAT, ye say?
According to available information (combined with me own interpretations), SOT will encompass a multi-player world much in the same way that POTCO had done for each of us. The game will cater itself to both XBox One Console & pc platforms. For the pc version, the requirement to play SOT is that ye must be upgraded to Windows 10.

SOT platforms.JPG

*An imperative thing ye need be understandin' is that SOT developer - Rare - is being tight-lipped currently towards details pertinent to SOT. With that said, please keep this point in mind when contemplating information posted below relative to today's time-frame and writing.

Avast! Once new information is revealed, expect this thread to keep you updated relative to such change.

WHO BE DEVELOPING "SEA OF THIEVES?"
The British gaming company - Rare Ltd. (i.e., Microsoft Studios) - is the development company responsible for SOT. Working heavily in collaboration with Microsoft & Microsoft XBox, Rare has established itself already as a leading British gaming company.

Notably, Rare Ltd. is actively expanding itself online by facilitating/promoting job-related opportunities posted on the media websites they do happen to own. (Contrast this energy & outreach to that of what we know of Disney and the thousands of jobs it had eliminated during POTCO's time).

HOW MUCH SILVER & GOLD BE LOST (i.e, how much will she cost)?
According to available information, SOT is expected to cost $59.99 according to this Amazon.com link, which, to note the date announced on the link itself does not reflect SOT's release date (the date applies to Amazon's policy on 'not-yet-released' date for games).

In retrospect, the price itself is nearly identical to the cost a year subscription of POTCO had cost. (Please note: if ye desire to play SOT via XBox One console, you must add an additional $39.99 per Microsoft [Gold Card] protocol in order to fully take advantage of the multi-player features).

It is expected that any SOT subscription will occur on a annual/yearly/upgrade basis.

"SEA OF THIEVES" RELEASE BE WHEN?
According to reputable sources, SOT release date is expected to occur late 2016 (likely during a busy 'holiday' season [possibly 'Black Friday'] here within the US). Currently, very little is known about Alpha or Beta dates. :eek:

If information changes or is updated related to dates, @Kat Truewalker or me-self will update everyone here of thy change.

"SEA OF THIEVES" MULTI-PLAYER/SHARED-WORLD FUNCTIONALITIES:
According to available information, SOT multi-player functionalities is described below:

SOT feature - 1.JPG

(An older, 'theory-based' video uploaded in July of 2015)

Me own understanding from reviewing things is that SOT will most offer:

• crewing
  • quests
  • looting
  • Ship battles (via crewing)
  • Possible PVP/crew battles
For more information & clearer understanding, review please this outake pertinent to SOT's (likely) game-play.

"SEA OF THIEVES" COMMUNITY GROWTH & EXPANSION OPPORTUNITY:
Coming directly from the ex-POTCO community, I be takin' away from the experience as a whole how well a community can flourish despite significant change, challenges, hurdles, & obstacles. As such, I approached me trusted friends & acquaintances :pirates:(relative to their SOT interest/personal skill) towards a SOT community growth & expansion effort.

Currently, I be unaware of any SOT (online) community "home." Once the game itself is released, players interested in SOT game-play will be flocking to the various social media sites Rare & Microsoft have agreed to open specifically for SOT promotion. However, those platforms in & of themselves do not facilitate real growth & expansion from the ground-floor on up & so it has been a vision of others & me-self to remain opportunistic towards a legitimate SOT community growth & expansion effort.

Will ye support us? :confused: Consider the following:

• SOT CENTRAL (YouTube channel) :flag: - I be workin' in collaboration with the following YouTube user - Paladin Topaz - devoted strictly to SOT news, discussion, information, theories &/or updates: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFc_dz4EQ0GC2X6nF13Z8FA/videos. *(Please subscribe to his channel to better equip yourself with weekly/bi-weekly information pertinent to SOT. He is both energetic and highly insightful towards SOT info.)
  • MICROSOFT - I be workin' in collaboration with a childhood friend of mine whom is presently employed by Microsoft. This friend of mine has agreed to speak with a colleague of his with the hope of establishing some form of communication to occur between me team/me-self & a Microsoft representative (pertinent to Xbox). The hope is to gain from Microsoft/Rare invaluable feedback which could be used to adequately implement what they hope to accomplish the most pertinent to SOT expected player-base/online community activity
*For more information, please contact me-self anytime here if you have (general) SOT questions or other inquiries or concerns. Thank ye much, lads and lasses. Ye shiver me timbers ~ Arrrgh! :piratewave:

Last edited:
i'm curious if the sea battles will mirror potco's ... tho honestly, i dont see myself playing any time soon with lotro and tlopo being around.

The game itself looks promising. ;) *The thing I do like myself (since even during POTCO's time I strongly advocated 'anti-hacking' support/sentiments) is that Windows 10 was engineered to prevent Microsoft games from becoming "pirated/hack/mod."

As someone whom is willing to dish-out money to pay $ for a game, that fact alone has my vote as the last thing I would want to do with my hard-earned cash is to see it wasted at the expense of someone readily willing to exploit MY fun.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/windows-10-can-find-and-disable-pirated-games/1100-6429805/

Last edited by a moderator:
The game has it's own website, so I would assume that it will be downloadable from there directly, it will be playable on pc and console.

that's how minecraft does it, right? or am i off a bit?

what feature does W10 have to offer for a gain in which previous forms don't?

The company Rare was bought by Microsoft in 2002, they're touting Sea of Thieves as an xbox one/Windows 10 game, for both platforms. It's going to be a lot more sophisticated than minecraft.

Most games can be downloaded from the developer's sites, Lotro, GW2, Wow... I'm not quite sure what you mean about minecraft, maybe I'm misunderstanding.

I guess the point is that it's not a company which is short of money or incentive to produce a good game.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what you mean about minecraft, maybe I'm misunderstanding.

i've seen MC in the windows store, and i know it's available to play on the pc and console yet it's not mandated to be played solely on W10.
i was wondering if you or anyone else might know what W10 has to offer in gaming which could warrant SOT (or any game really) to be a W10 exclusive.

Back