Discussion The next step...

I am against trading for several reasons: 1) It would open avenues for people to bully or otherwise coerce others into trading. 2) It would devalue top items as they would become more common in the game, of course this could be mitigated by reducing drop rates but I bet that would be met with violent objections. 3) It would change the balance of the game, as more and more people get closer to their ideal inventory faster. 4) There is a danger that Disney might see this as a modification of their game for profit. Even if it's not directly benefiting the developers.

There are probably more but those are the ones at the top of my mind.

I only see trading as a way for those who can't compete to even the score.

I feel obligated to point out a few things.

1. Bullying/coercion doesn't seem realistic for this. Now tricking more unaware players? Absolutely.

2. Agreed here.

3. Honestly, I doubt this would be an issue. There are 2 inventory pages, and "ideal" inventories are usually far from a few weapons. It may just take an incredibly long, unforgiving grind and make it more bearable for casual looters.

4. Unless TLOPO allowed real-world transactions, this is unlikely. Especially since profit would most likely be made between players.

I have a real life. I don't have time for the insane grind the game requires to get good items. Yeah, I'll buy some of them, and I'll buy some mats too. No shame in saying that. I hop on for short periods. I play for the story, not for the same enemy again and again and again and again.
I mean, thats just part of it i think. And a lot of famed are better than some of the legendaries so its not like its just to get good items. You just want a legendary but can't put in the effort to get one because you don't have the time and I get that and sympathize, but trading isnt the way to go and if it is ever implemented i would genuinely hope legendaries arent allowed to be tradable.

I mean, thats just part of it i think. And a lot of famed are better than some of the legendaries so its not like its just to get good items. You just want a legendary but can't put in the effort to get one because you don't have the time and I get that and sympathize, but trading isnt the way to go and if it is ever implemented i would genuinely hope legendaries arent allowed to be tradable.
I can only see two possible restrictions, the first one is bound to character. So if you equipped something you looted it will always be yours and never be able to trade. This is one way I think that people would freak out less about the unbalancing of the game. The second one, is a level cap. I'd say level 30 since thats when you get Raven's Cove quest that way you need to put in work before trading with others. I personally don't like restricting rarity because people always want to trade up if you will.

Similarly to the topic at hand, @Marc Daggerhound and I were discussing yesterday that there could be preliminary variables that can create more secure route for trading, let's suppose..:

Safe-Route Trading

Due to the fact that I've noticed a large reason that players are primarily against the addition of a trade system is that it will create a way to circumnavigate the current process of attempting to obtain Legendaries by creating loopholes in which they are clearly more obtainable. Here's a way to fix that:

1. Add a value system, and equal-value transactions.
I. What I mean here, is adding a system that accounts for the determined community value of a weapon or item, which would be calculated by the weapon's rarity and by it's use from players upon obtaining it (natively, through looting). (Or, in the case of clothing, the item's resell value, plus how commonly it is worn when looted.)

Let's talk examples. Let's say The Emerald Curse had an in-line VR (Value Rating) of 2,075, and the Famed Barracuda Blade clocked in a total rating of 1,750. Similar to systems present in other games, the player looking to get Emerald Curse would need to provide an additional weapon or clothing item that boosts their trade value to a totaled value of 2023, or within roughly 5% of Emerald Curse's projected value.

Q: What exactly does this system prevent compared to similar trade systems already proposed?

A: This system has a multitude of effects on trading in a game such as TLOPO.
1. This system will prevent off-balance trades which would allow players to scam, compromise, and/or otherwise abuse and ruin the system's functionality.
2. This will allow a monetary value system separate of gold to handle the basis of trade transactions, and will prevent later having to edit and manage the gold value of weapons and clothing.
3. Upon using this system, this will be an incentive of keeping duplicate items to use for trade value. If, say, you obtained four
Onyx Curses, (valued for example at 2,250), it would allow you to use one of your three duplicate Legendaries to trade for Thunderspine Sword, valued at 3,200, thrown in with a famed Skullbone Repeater valued at 950, equaling a totaled 3,200 - 3,200 from both parties. For short, let's call it a 20-20 Trade.

Possible additions to this system to balance trades further:

• Prevent more than one of a weapon or clothing item being used in a party's trade to remove the ability to spam duplicate items. (In the case of account compromise, this will help prevent the player's items from being traded away for just any regular old Famed.)
  • Recent trade activities will be documented through notifications to the User's sign-up E-Mail.
  • Allow Locking of certain items to both prevent them from being traded (or sold in the case of an account compromise).

Again, this is just a concept, but I would like to hear opinions on my proposition.

Similarly to the topic at hand, @Marc Daggerhound and I were discussing yesterday that there could be preliminary variables that can create more secure route for trading, let's suppose..:

Safe-Route Trading

Due to the fact that I've noticed a large reason that players are primarily against the addition of a trade system is that it will create a way to circumnavigate the current process of attempting to obtain Legendaries by creating loopholes in which they are clearly more obtainable. Here's a way to fix that:

1. Add a value system, and equal-value transactions.
I. What I mean here, is adding a system that accounts for the determined community value of a weapon or item, which would be calculated by the weapon's rarity and by it's use from players upon obtaining it (natively, through looting). (Or, in the case of clothing, the item's resell value, plus how commonly it is worn when looted.)

Let's talk examples. Let's say The Emerald Curse had an in-line VR (Value Rating) of 2,075, and the Famed Barracuda Blade clocked in a total rating of 1,750. Similar to systems present in other games, the player looking to get Emerald Curse would need to provide an additional weapon or clothing item that boosts their trade value to a totaled value of 2023, or within roughly 5% of Emerald Curse's projected value.

Q: What exactly does this system prevent compared to similar trade systems already proposed?

A: This system has a multitude of effects on trading in a game such as TLOPO.
1. This system will prevent off-balance trades which would allow players to scam, compromise, and/or otherwise abuse and ruin the system's functionality.
2. This will allow a monetary value system separate of gold to handle the basis of trade transactions, and will prevent later having to edit and manage the gold value of weapons and clothing.
3. Upon using this system, this will be an incentive of keeping duplicate items to use for trade value. If, say, you obtained four
Onyx Curses, (valued for example at 2,250), it would allow you to use one of your three duplicate Legendaries to trade for Thunderspine Sword, valued at 3,200, thrown in with a famed Skullbone Repeater valued at 950, equaling a totaled 3,200 - 3,200 from both parties. For short, let's call it a 20-20 Trade.

Possible additions to this system to balance trades further:

• Prevent more than one of a weapon or clothing item being used in a party's trade to remove the ability to spam duplicate items. (In the case of account compromise, this will help prevent the player's items from being traded away for just any regular old Famed.)
  • Recent trade activities will be documented through notifications to the User's sign-up E-Mail.
  • Allow Locking of certain items to both prevent them from being traded (or sold in the case of an account compromise).

Again, this is just a concept, but I would like to hear opinions on my proposition.
I don't think anything that would allow a legendary weapon to be easier to get is a good idea for the game. Not allowing legendaries to be traded would be much easier and would still make it so legendaries require effort to get since thats the whole point of them. Keep legendaries legendary

I don't think anything that would allow a legendary weapon to be easier to get is a good idea for the game. Not allowing legendaries to be traded would be much easier and would still make it so legendaries require effort to get since thats the whole point of them. Keep legendaries legendary
Agreed, legendaries should be off the table during trades in progress. Consider it done! :winner:

9b12cee3741f9a78b521e7587f0c2181.gif

Trading makes sense for a pirate game and not everyone has 10 hours to loot for the most valuable items in the game. It would be nice to have another option to get those valued items without having to loot so much for them.

Trading makes sense for a pirate game and not everyone has 10 hours to loot for the most valuable items in the game. It would be nice to have another option to get those valued items without having to loot so much for them.
But thats the point. Thats what makes them so valuable. You put the time in and you get the legendary. It sometimes sucks and isn't ideal but thats what the grind to get legendaries in both POTCO and TLOPO is. Thats what looting is

But thats the point. Thats what makes them so valuable. You put the time in and you get the legendary. It sometimes sucks and isn't ideal but thats what the grind to get legendaries in both POTCO and TLOPO is. Thats what looting is
You should still have another option and what someone deems valuable is up to them plus in my opinion just because someone got a legendary from trading doesn't mean that the value is lost it's not like everyone is guaranteed a legendary.

You should still have another option and what someone deems valuable is up to them plus in my opinion just because someone got a legendary from trading doesn't mean that the value is lost it's not like everyone is guaranteed a legendary.
Yes, someone trade me leviathan please. - I don't have time to loot anymore, so I want someone to give it to me please. Thanks! :D

Yes, someone trade me leviathan please. - I don't have time to loot anymore, so I want someone to give it to me please. Thanks! :D
Well I doubt that would ever happen unless people have duplicates or they see someone having something more valuable and would trade leviathan for it and yes charles not everyone has as much time as you to sit there and loot countless hours

Well I doubt that would ever happen unless people have duplicates or they see someone having something more valuable and would trade leviathan for it and yes charles not everyone has as much time as you to sit there and loot countless hours
Oh... I apologize for my passion and dedication to the game's main concept.

But thats what it takes to get a legendary. Thats why they are called legendaries, and thats what makes them special. Just because you want one doesnt mean TLOPO should make it any easier. People just want trading for their own inclusion in having a legendary like the people who put time and effort in as well as getting lucky. Trading is much more controversial than you or some people might believe and will REALLY harm this game and its community

But thats what it takes to get a legendary. Thats why they are called legendaries, and thats what makes them special. Just because you want one doesnt mean TLOPO should make it any easier. People just want trading for their own inclusion in having a legendary like the people who put time and effort in as well as getting lucky. Trading is much more controversial than you or some people might believe and will REALLY harm this game and its community
It'll only hurt those that care so much about how other people choose to do with their items

Back