What do you think of this Blade?

• The Blade is Balanced and Awesome.

Votes: 55 59.1%
  • The Blade is Unbalanced and Terrible.

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 14 15.1%

• Total voters
Lol, yeah I didnt know what the original design of the sword was even meant to be

The life drain aspect just seemed to be the pinnacle of overkill in any weapon and really didnt make sense to have on this sword so I just took it away entirely to keep the powerful and crits as high as they may be "needed"
Well by design I just meant the stats the devs put on it originally. Your weapon cards themselves look good.

As for life drain, I don't really see why people claim it's OP. 5 different daggers have it, 5 different throwing knives have it, and while WEB does have it, so does Tyrant Blade (at Rank 2, like I suggested). Tyrant blade is a lv28+ famed broadsword. If it can have Rank 2 Drain Health, then a legendary IMO should definitely be able to have that and then some as per my suggestion.

There were some good points brought up here, namely those concerning the overshadowing of cursed weapons.
This is the main perspective I just don't understand. People say "No, normal weapons can't be better than cursed" because it "disregards the bulk of content" or "the game's end game content". But, by making cursed swords the most rewarding and popular hobby in the game, doesn't that disregard the bulk of the game's content? Looters shouldn't be confined to Cursed Caverns, Forsaken Shallows and El Patron's Mines. This game shouldn't be "Cursed Blade Simulator". By making non-cursed weapons competitive with cursed, and/or at least worth the effort, you encourage players to appreciate more areas within the game.

This is why I genuinely think a BP quest prerequisite might not be the worst idea (provided the sword was not nerfed too extremely), despite how long and arduous it is in its current state. Not because the sword requires a prerequisite - IMO it doesn't. But because that would give people a reason to participate in the game's original bulk content.
edit - it also just makes sense; the BP storyline is all about helping Jack.

Last edited:
Well by design I just meant the stats the devs put on it originally. Your weapon cards themselves look good.

As for life drain, I don't really see why people claim it's OP. 5 different daggers have it, 5 different throwing knives have it, and while WEB does have it, so does Tyrant Blade (at Rank 2, like I suggested). Tyrant blade is a lv28+ famed broadsword. If it can have Rank 2 Drain Health, then a legendary IMO should definitely be able to have that and then some as per my suggestion.

This is the main perspective I just don't understand. People say "No, normal weapons can't be better than cursed" because it "disregards the bulk of content" or "the game's end game content". But, by making cursed swords the most rewarding and popular hobby in the game, doesn't that disregard the bulk of the game's content? Looters shouldn't be confined to Cursed Caverns, Forsaken Shallows and El Patron's Mines. This game shouldn't be "Cursed Blade Simulator". By making non-cursed weapons competitive with cursed, and/or at least worth the effort, you encourage players to appreciate more areas within the game.

This is why I genuinely think a BP quest prerequisite might not be the worst idea (provided the sword was not nerfed too extremely), despite how long and arduous it is in its current state.

I just don't think it's completely infeasible to make this sword competitive with cursed blades, but for neither to completely overshadow the other. A moderate nerf would accomplish this.

Oof, the amount of hostility on this thread is alarming as I didn't think me posting the picture of myself receiving the weapon was going to cause this much of a stir, probably should of just not said anything because I feel like there's a target on my back now. Regardless, the weapon is undoubtedly really good, that shouldn't be a surprise and it really is an honor to wield it, what was a surprise though was the fact that people were bringing my level into account.

I see where people are coming from saying that a level 32 at the time shouldn't have this type of weapon but to be honest, your overall level shouldn't matter in this context. Everyone was level 32 at some point and back when the original Potco was still a thing I was of course a max leveled pirate so the argument of my overall level being a part of the controversy should be redundant. The level that does matter in this context is a max leveled sword; that should be the only level that matters. Honestly, it adds more excitement to farming bosses now knowing that anyone can receive the weapon. I mean, even if a level 10 were to find this thing, they would still get destroyed by opponents above their level but at their level and below it should be easy but I mean what weapon isn't easy to use against enemies at your level or below? All i'm saying in this topic is that what level you find this sword or any good weapon for that matter shouldn't be a concern, just your cutlass level and everything else will follow suit.

On another topic in pvp, I can see it being a problem 100%, but that can be easily fixed by just banning it from use in pvp. Outside of pvp though, it's what you should expect from a legendary weapon, it's better than the other legendary weapons but what's the main concern for that? There has to be a best of something in some way shape or form, likewise seeing how the TLOPO staff can do whatever they want to this game i.e adding new islands and quests, along with that would come more original weapons that could compete with this current one. Does this weapon compete with the legendary cursed weapons? Oh for sure, but what's to say in the future that we could be blessed (or cursed - see what I did there?) to receive new, original legendary cursed weapons that could be better? I'm sure we will, we don't know when but it'll probably happen at some point in the possible near future and that's something everyone should be excited for.

Conclusion:
Do I think this weapon is insanely powerful? Yes of course. Would I be surprised if it were to receive a nerf at some point in the future? Not at all. Whatever they may do to this weapon if anything at all, at this current time the best thing they can do is make it the hardest legendary weapon to find and I was just incredibly lucky enough to be the first pirate to ever use this cutlass.

Anywho, if you have more questions about the weapon feel free to ask me in a personal message as I probably won't see it in this thread.

Gl looting all!!

I just don't think it's completely infeasible to make this sword competitive with cursed blades, but for neither to completely overshadow the other. A moderate nerf would accomplish this.
I agree. I suggested some nerfed stats earlier ITT. I also think they could just leave it if they make BP quest required, considering it's so exhausting. Or nerf it either way. Just don't make it a BSB or El Patron's rehash, whatever they do.

This is why I genuinely think a BP quest prerequisite might not be the worst idea (provided the sword was not nerfed too extremely), despite how long and arduous it is in its current state. Not because the sword requires a prerequisite - IMO it doesn't. But because that would give people a reason to participate in the game's original bulk content.
edit - it also just makes sense; the BP storyline is all about helping Jack.
Perhaps all the weapon brouhaha needn't be sweated about because wasn't there some notes about the possibility of higher rep being introduced in a near update, so wouldn't it make sense to start introducing new and higher weapons?
Just a thought.

This is why I genuinely think a BP quest prerequisite might not be the worst idea (provided the sword was not nerfed too extremely), despite how long and arduous it is in its current state.
To elaborate on what I were saying about life drain:
Its not that is overpowered, but that its really unneeded on this sword and just doesn't really fit the sword since itself, it being "Jack's sword" and all.

And in reference to what you were saying about cursed legendaries
Oof, the amount of hostility on this thread is alarming as I didn't think me posting the picture of myself receiving the weapon was going to cause this much of a stir, probably should of just not said anything because I feel like there's a target on my back now. Regardless, the weapon is undoubtedly really good, that shouldn't be a surprise and it really is an honor to wield it, what was a surprise though was the fact that people were bringing my level into account.

I see where people are coming from saying that a level 32 at the time shouldn't have this type of weapon but to be honest, your overall level shouldn't matter in this context. Everyone was level 32 at some point and back when the original Potco was still a thing I was of course a max leveled pirate so the argument of my overall level being a part of the controversy should be redundant. The level that does matter in this context is a max leveled sword; that should be the only level that matters. Honestly, it adds more excitement to farming bosses now knowing that anyone can receive the weapon. I mean, even if a level 10 were to find this thing, they would still get destroyed by opponents above their level but at their level and below it should be easy but I mean what weapon isn't easy to use against enemies at your level or below? All i'm saying in this topic is that what level you find this sword or any good weapon for that matter shouldn't be a concern, just your cutlass level and everything else will follow suit.

On another topic in pvp, I can see it being a problem 100%, but that can be easily fixed by just banning it from use in pvp. Outside of pvp though, it's what you should expect from a legendary weapon, it's better than the other legendary weapons but what's the main concern for that? There has to be a best of something in some way shape or form, likewise seeing how the TLOPO staff can do whatever they want to this game i.e adding new islands and quests, along with that would come more original weapons that could compete with this current one. Does this weapon compete with the legendary cursed weapons? Oh for sure, but what's to say in the future that we could be blessed (or cursed - see what I did there?) to receive new, original legendary cursed weapons that could be better? I'm sure we will, we don't know when but it'll probably happen at some point in the possible near future and that's something everyone should be excited for.

Conclusion:
Do I think this weapon is insanely powerful? Yes of course. Would I be surprised if it were to receive a nerf at some point in the future? Not at all. Whatever they may do to this weapon if anything at all, at this current time the best thing they can do is make it the hardest legendary weapon to find and I was just incredibly lucky enough to be the first pirate to ever use this cutlass.

Anywho, if you have more questions about the weapon feel free to ask me in a personal message as I probably won't see it in this thread.

Gl looting all!!
Dude, Lol, there's no target on your back. Everyone including me wants to congratulate you for getting this sword, and i'm glad that you did and not a mega looter with 2 pirates sitting there for hours with double the odds.
We, as a community, are just discussing maybe how to adjust this sword since a lot of people think it should be changed, but there are some who think it shouldn't be and that's great.
I personally don't care what level pirate finds what sword.
I wanted legendaries to be able to compete with their cursed variants by being a almost as good and possibly even a little bit better than some of the weaker ones.
I think this was a great first step in that direction. If the tlopo devs decide to change this weapon, I hope they can find inspiration from what has been said in this thread.If they decide not to change it, its not the end of the world.
Anyway CG on finding this awesome sword, and I cannot wait to see what the next legendary is and who gets it is.

I'm glad to see you've brought this up Charles since I had similar misgivings when I saw the sword's stats. First, I do disagree with the notion that the blade cannot be equivalent to, or slightly better than, a cursed blade. I think we all know that the vast majority of TLOPO players have many years of experience on the game, and Raven's Cove becoming "meaningless" wouldn't really have an impact; nearly every player who actively plays this game has gone through the quest. I actually think its a great idea to make comparable weapons worth looting on other islands so that not every player is camping out at Tormenta or Raven's Cove, but I had always imagined that the Heart of Padres would be an example of a reasonable sword that could be looted elsewhere, not something that completely makes any other item in the game useless.

The reality is that this sword is so immensely overpowered that it would never be possible to use in PvP, because no reasonable player would be willing to fight against it. There's just no way for the sword to leave any room for a fair test of skill in PvP or NPC combat. This fact doesn't just hurt the players who fail to loot it, but it also hurts the players who find the item because it will never be able to be reasonably utilised by them, and most importantly it hurts the game itself. It's just too powerful.

This is the tipping point of a concerning trend among new updates regarding loot in the game. Initially the devs showed plenty of restraint when making solid loot updates, such as adding colour options to items previously only available in plain like embellished vest. Now, they are making updates that have left the best items of the old game completely worthless. Many of the new colours released are so vivid they simply surpass their similar rare colour counterpart and make it look dull, e.g. bright purple compared to lavender, and gold compared to bright yellow. This new sword is just continuing a trend that has been ongoing for months, and we as the players need to speak out that it has gone too far to be viable in the game!

I'm glad to see you've brought this up Charles since I had similar misgivings when I saw the sword's stats. First, I do disagree with the notion that the blade cannot be equivalent to, or slightly better than, a cursed blade. I think we all know that the vast majority of TLOPO players have many years of experience on the game, and Raven's Cove becoming "meaningless" wouldn't really have an impact; nearly every player who actively plays this game has gone through the quest. I actually think its a great idea to make comparable weapons worth looting on other islands so that not every player is camping out at Tormenta or Raven's Cove, but I had always imagined that the Heart of Padres would be an example of a reasonable sword that could be looted elsewhere, not something that completely makes any other item in the game useless.

The reality is that this sword is so immensely overpowered that it would never be possible to use in PvP, because no reasonable player would be willing to fight against it. There's just no way for the sword to leave any room for a fair test of skill in PvP or NPC combat. This fact doesn't just hurt the players who fail to loot it, but it also hurts the players who find the item because it will never be able to be reasonably utilised by them, and most importantly it hurts the game itself. It's just too powerful.

This is the tipping point of a concerning trend among new updates regarding loot in the game. Initially the devs showed plenty of restraint when making solid loot updates, such as adding colour options to items previously only available in plain like embellished vest. Now, they are making updates that have left the best items of the old game completely worthless. Many of the new colours released are so vivid they simply surpass their similar rare colour counterpart and make it look dull, e.g. bright purple compared to lavender, and gold compared to bright yellow. This new sword is just continuing a trend that has been ongoing for months, and we as the players need to speak out that it has gone too far to be viable in the game!
An easy fix for pvp is to just ban it from use in pvp.

just leave the sword alone play the game enjoy the game its not meant to be catered to those who spend all their free hours invested into it, whether you play for 100 hours a week or 5 hours a week its just a weapon who cares if its over powered people will have fun finding it and enjoy it once found. as far as the fact that it makes the other blades look like a joke? not hardly all legendary swords are sought after for the fact of having legendary swords especially the sabres even though in reality they are useless as a weapon but still sought after never the less. you arent just going to find jack sparrows blade and say ok im uninstalling ive done it, you do what you do whenever you find a legend you move on to find the next one and so on..
I never understood why people say sabers are useless

I will respectfully request that those who wish to participate in the discussion in this thread do so in a calm and collected manner. Those who resort to personal/flaming attacks will receive consequences per our forum TOS.

That being said, I appreciate those who have discussed this weapon in a constructive manner. The team is taking into account your feedback and may make adjustments as necessary.

Thanks, everyone.
Ok, making adjustments is something that I personally do not agree with and I can explain so in several manners... After all these months the Tlopo team finally gives us a really powerful sword and then we have simple ill-minded people (Not mentioning names) who come on the forums just to whine and complain about it so that the devs have to nerf it or else it won't stop and this is the type of stuff that really tickes me off in full matter because if all of the people on this game are gonna sit for hours and hours and hours at a clip putting all of their efforts into 1 single sword just to have it ruined not long after is a complete waste of time in my opinion. because why loot for a super powerful sword just to have the whole thing nerfed shortly after and have it not as powerful? it kind of just takes all of the hours that people loot on this game and turns around and says thank you much for wasting your time go loot something else now. :/ As for the sword itself If you are going to release a sword that's overpowered at least make it hard to get with the drop rates and so forth that way it stays the way it is but actually takes a lot of time and effort for you to achieve and that way after you achieve it you can feel somewhat proud of yourself seeing you just looted the most powerful cutlass in the game so far and this is why I am here right now defending this swords capability and I'm fully against the idea of "Nerfing it" @John Foulroberts @Beggar @Charles Warmonk -Frostbyte X

What resonated with me - and this does not collectively speak for the team as a whole, though they may agree with me - was the concern over game balance. If I may, allow me to illustrate this as I see it:

It was intended that Cursed Blades be of a higher caliber than their regular classification counterparts. Most players will agree with this, considering these blades drop from the highest leveled enemies in the game, being ghosts and DJ crew. Recently, we have incorporated boss-specific legendary weapons to Tormenta/Raven's Cove - these bosses being well over level 40 (and sporting more health than Jolly Roger in the case of Palifico). It makes sense for these blades to drop here - these bosses are leagues more difficult, requiring a crew and firepower, so more bang for your buck (or in this case, time).

With this recent update, we have placed 4 additional legendary around the Caribbean, and at this point it's public knowledge that Darkhart drops Jack Sparrow's Blade. I saw several points expressed about Jack Sparrow's Blade possessing an overall higher DPS compared to some other Cursed weapons due to its collection of weapon attributes. Darkhart's level range is 27-35, in comparison to Forsaken Shallows/Cursed Caverns bosses that are at least ~10 levels higher.

My point that I am trying to drive home is that boss/enemy difficulty should be equivalent to its possible rewards, and this promotes game balance.

If Jack Sparrow's Blade is modified in a future update, I understand it may be disheartening to the players who have already looted it. At that point, we fall back on the state of the game - it's beta, things are in flux and will be adjusted in order to best suit the game in a state of full release. We are all beta testers, after all. Nothing should be taken as finality at this point.

Anyway, this does not condemn any other future major content releases from possessing weapons of such a stature that Jack Sparrow's Blade maintains now. Its arsenal of qualities would be best suited to a new expansion with higher level enemies, in my opinion.

I do not expect to change anyone's opinion, and this post does not serve as an official response from the TLOPO team in any capacity regarding this discussion.

What resonated with me - and this does not collectively speak for the team as a whole, though they may agree with me - was the concern over game balance. If I may, allow me to illustrate this as I see it:

It was intended that Cursed Blades be of a higher caliber than their regular classification counterparts. Most players will agree with this, considering these blades drop from the highest leveled enemies in the game, being ghosts and DJ crew. Recently, we have incorporated boss-specific legendary weapons to Tormenta/Raven's Cove - these bosses being well over level 40 (and sporting more health than Jolly Roger in the case of Palifico). It makes sense for these blades to drop here - these bosses are leagues more difficult, requiring a crew and firepower, so more bang for your buck (or in this case, time).

With this recent update, we have placed 4 additional legendary around the Caribbean, and at this point it's public knowledge that Darkhart drops Jack Sparrow's Blade. I saw several points expressed about Jack Sparrow's Blade possessing an overall higher DPS compared to some other Cursed weapons due to its collection of weapon attributes. Darkhart's level range is 27-35, in comparison to Forsaken Shallows/Cursed Caverns bosses that are at least ~10 levels higher.

My point that I am trying to drive home is that boss/enemy difficulty should be equivalent to its possible rewards, and this promotes game balance.

If Jack Sparrow's Blade is modified in a future update, I understand it may be disheartening to the players who have already looted it. At that point, we fall back on the state of the game - it's beta, things are in flux and will be adjusted in order to best suit the game in a state of full release. We are all beta testers, after all. Nothing should be taken as finality at this point.

Anyway, this does not condemn any other future major content releases from possessing weapons of such a stature that Jack Sparrow's Blade maintains now. Its arsenal of qualities would be best suited to a new expansion with higher level enemies, in my opinion.

I do not expect to change anyone's opinion, and this post does not serve as an official response from the TLOPO team in any capacity regarding this discussion.
Very well said.

To me there is no balance with the weapons because you have weapons that are stronger than others and to me newer weapons should be stronger than older ones even cursed blades. I find it funny how barely anyone says yore is super overpowered or any other cursed blade. I wouldn't be surprised if they had made this sword a cursed legendary and barely anyone complained. Right now just by looking at john's comments they'll eventually nerf this sword it's obviously I just don't get why the developers made these stats without realizing a backlash would happen.

That's what happens in a lot of games. The developers always add new items that will surpass the older ones. It's like real life were society invents a newer device to make something easier to do and the older device becomes completely useless. It's all about progression plain and simple.

I’ve seen a lot of people discussing the fact that since this blade is a Legendary, it’s stats should not exceed that of any Legendary Cursed blade. If this were the case, then why do we accept it with Famed weapons vs Cursed Famed weapons? Along with some Cursed Famed weapons being better than some Legendary Cursed weapons? Assasin’s Knives are better than Silver Freeze. Barracuda Blade obliterates some of the Legendary Cursed weapons simply because of its Bladestorm boost. Admiral’s Cutlass? It utterly shreds Nautilus simply because of its thrust boost, and it can be obtained at sea without having to do the Raven’s Cove quest. With it’s high attack rate and insane thrust boost, anyone who has pvped vs Admiral’s Cutlass knows how quickly you will go down if your opponents aim isn’t less than average. Nautilus can only be obtained at the end of the Raven’s Cove quest or if looted later on. When pvping with Nautilus, it is clearly evident that if your opponent is using Admiral’s Cutlass, they definitely have an advantage. Have you all forgotten about Lost Sword of El Patron? That sword completely renders useless compared to some of the weapons we already have. Why should it be any different with this new blade that has been released? Yes, the stats may be a little extra, but it’s something we need in the game. People who have looted Thunderspine: Was it not the best sword in the game at one point? Could it not be looted after level 30? Was it not OP to anyone who pvped against it? I don’t see the issue here. Now that there is something to compete against it, people are getting triggered for absolutely no reason at all. I personally prefer looting at Darkhart vs Tormenta or the Mines. There should be some incentive for people to loot at different bosses, and this sword is just that.
All in all, I don’t believe the blade should be nerfed whatsoever. It gives other people a chance to experience acquiring a powerful blade without needing to grind the same enemies in Tormenta or Ghosts in the Mines over and over.

Last edited:
Instead of nerfing the sword nerf dark hart. The sword he drops is powerful so why make him a bit stronger too, like increase his hp to maybe 30-40k maybe even 50k and make him deal more damage maybe as much as tomas blanco. That way it'll be like palifico dropping leviathan, the sword is powerful and so is palifico.

Why not increase Darkheart Level to 45 to make him stronger? Also, why can't a regular legendary sword be stronger than it cursed legendary counterpart?

@Bladerage
"There's just no way for the sword to leave any room for a fair test of skill in PvP or NPC combat."
True for PVP, absolutely meaningless for PVE. PVE you play for yourself and utilize whatever you have to be successful. It truly matters not to you or anyone else how I accomplish my goals in PVE. None. PVP is a totally different animal and your comment makes perfect sense WHEN PLAYING AGAINST ANOTHER PLAYER!! --- NOT Npc. I can not be unfair to a NPC, only destroy them. And I'll strive to find a great weapon to do so in PVE and my actions have no impact in tlopo. And all npc respawn, so I'm not even inconveniencing anyone no matter what I do.

Leave weapon rating to the devs for PVE, leave us alone in PVE with our styles and quirks. But if anything is about PVP, by all means work for fair play in PVP battle. Someone came up with a good solution in PVP, limit or ban certain weapons. OR make auto level including weapons matching for all players in PVP battle. Thus only the players fighting abilities will be victorious.
GL

Back