Announcement Six Years of Pirates Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard about the Forums from my fellow members of Spania, back in the day. I never expected the warm and friendly atmosphere the Forums Community provided and I'm honored to have been a part of it all these years! I joined the Forums because I wanted to be more involved in the POTCO Community and that's exactly what I got. The Meet and Greets that were put together, posting our new famed weapon that we got from South Idol, that evil feeling you get when you stop "Count to 10" at nine -- the Forums brings everyone together and that's something I admire looking back. My favorite memory at the Forums was being asked to join the elite Staff we have at the Forums, I'm honored to be working with such a determined and dedicated team. I'd like to thank @Davy Darkrage and @Captain Star for being leaders on these Forums and making it all happen. Congrats Forums on six years and to many more to come!

Many years ago I had taken a break from POTCO, and unfortunately never returned so I was unaware that it had shut down. After a while, I felt like playing..only to learn that it had shut down. Eventually I found TLOPO and the forums. Discovering TLOPO and a community that enjoyed the same thing was just a wonderful and thrilling experience :happy:

I got into Pirates with the original Disney version shortly after seeing a TV commercial advertising the game. I played every day for about 3 years and had saw it advance. I never really took part in Forums back then simply because I met many people during gameplay that kept e abreast of what was happening. I played before potions and fishing came out..... when the cap on notoriety was 40 and weapons was 25. I have seen it progress and then was heartbroken to learn it was being cancelled, but now that the rewrite is bringing the game I love back I decided to join the Forums to keep in touch with current happenings and am excited with where things are going.
Thats why we're all here mate, to see our childhood (for most of us) game come back

Unfortunately (for me) I was young when I played POTCO so I wasn't very interested or invested in the community. In fact before I even arrived in the forums I was completely ignorant about all the stuff like the role playing and wars between guilds. Though I did invest a lot of time in the game. I found the forums after I discovered TLOPO. I suppose now that I'm older that I'll actually start becoming involved with the community. I certainly have in other games.

Greetings to all!

As I lead into the main topic, I want to put something in perspective...

Pirates Online released on October 31, 2007. This year, it'll have been nine years old. How did the time fly by so quickly? Well, for one thing, I can say that time flies when you're with people you love and care about - and also when you're having fun.

On Pirates Forums, we've established a platform to effectively cater to this same dynamic. We've built a strong, passionate community of post-POTCO refugees and pirate lovers alike that are now patiently awaiting the reincarnation of the thing that brought us together - our mutual interest and link.

Coincidentally, Pirates Forums was also founded in the month of October, complementing that of Pirates Online's release. Today, October 12, happens to be the forum's 6th anniversary. As a community, we've been through a lot of difficulties that have tested our strength and dedication. We've also stuck together for the better part of a decade already - hard to believe, right?

I feel old.

Anyway, I'd like to take a moment to celebrate this awesome milestone. My heartfelt thanks goes out to our entire moderation team, support staff, TLOPO staff, and - let's not forget the man behind it all - @Davy Darkrage. Without all of you, Pirates Forums would not be the thriving, flourishing, and welcoming place it is today.

My thanks also should not neglect all of our wonderful community members. Our membership has skyrocketed in the past few months - our numbers are growing now more than they ever have before. I'm so excited to see all of you so willing to join us on our journey into TLOPO's Beta phase - there's a lot of hope for the future and it certainly is looking promising.

Now, the staff and I want to give you all a chance to walk down memory lane. It doesn't matter if you've been here 5 years, 5 months, or 5 minutes - we want to hear your voice! How did you come across Pirates Forums? What drew you in to the community? How has Pirates Forums impacted your life? Share your stories below! In exchange for replying, you'll be awarded a medal that will serve to commemorate the forum's 6th anniversary:
72503-c5f3226afdc1be4531f8ee8eec184cd1.jpg

(kudos to @Irene!)
You have from now until October 19, 2016 at 12:00AM EDT to post your response. After this time, this thread will be locked and no additional medals will be awarded.

Thanks to everyone for being a part of it all. You rock! Our community is awesome.

JFR

I really didn't get into POTCO until about 2010 so I had a good bit of time to grow fond of it. I'm so glad they're so close to releasing Beta soon and i will finally return to cannon defense to keep working to get the coveted rev. ram!

I was the 2nd person to join PiratesForums, after @Davy Darkrage being 1st.

I joined on Oct 12, 2010, seconds after the forums came into existence.

Davy has done a great job maintaining the forums, and I couldn't have picked a better man to do it. He was my first mate in my guild Spania, and one of my most trusted officers, along with Captain Star. @Captain Star was the co-gm of my guild. Both founders with gold coins.

@Johnny Mak although he joined a little later, he made tremendous work and contributed immensely to the success of the forums.

Pirates Forums came about, after the 2010's POTCO guilds vs guilds competition where every guild fought to the nails to conquer a spot on Disney's official event , "Strongest Guild Competition".

Before the Pirates Forums, our home was other forum; which we met with increasing discontent, they did not treat our members properly, and because they mistreated one of our members, I didn't stand for it, and they banned me, of course that was trigger, that ultimately sprung this community.

@Misty Moonlight like Captain Star, did an amazing job helping the forums since the inception. She was a Moderator that helped maintain the forums clean and properly managed since the very beginning.

@Will Nightwolf, helped tremendously to make the forums a success as well, he was Lead Mod back then.

@Bad I met him through one of my best friends Kelly, joined our guild and became forum staff early in the game, and he still around kicking hard.

@John Foulroberts, joined later, was one of pirates forums first Youtubers (along with @JohnnyDaPirate) and created several great videos to promote the forums, and although I haven't kept track I am sure he has been doing great job, so much that now he is an admin.

I am not sure If I am forgetting names, but these individuals have been the backbone of the forums for a long time and merit proper credit.

I am of course, omitting the part where the community split apart, though it was later after the forums were already great.

This is just a classy post, that I would do, in any situation.

Happy Birthday Forums

Pre-POTCO closure:
I was invited to this forums by a good friend. I decided to stay and utilized this forums as a means to express myself via the one thing I love doing; writing. Later on, on account of the Revive POTCO petition, a handful of other POTCO players and myself helped to try to contribute towards Disney paying attention to the needs and the wants of POTCO being saved. (My responsibility at the time was to organize a list of individual persons within Disney to contact). About that time, I became increasingly vocal on this forums in so far as the problems and the affects of POTCO "hacking." For what it's worth, that interest eventually led to myself being involved with 3 separate anti-hacking groups whom sought to hold others responsible for bringing-down the interests of the POTCO community at-large. (When the Revive POTCO petition had failed, I continued to bring the issue out into the light for the sake of everyone's interest).

Post-POTCO closure:
At some point, I was asked to become a part of the staff here to which later led myself to assist as moderator. However, understanding the past POTCO "hacking" problem, I kept up-to-date pertinent to all of the POTCO remake efforts which sprung-up once POTHS had publicly announced it's ending. (Those remakes were coming from the left and the right and I wrote a thread here on the forums which, in-part, remained in collaboration with JDP's channel important to these remakes). When Pirates Online Rewritten came along, I took to heart the claim made by Rewritten at the time that Disney explicitly gave them permission. I, therefore, pressed the matter whenever I could - here - to keep everyone informed of the truth (which later 'Rewritten' had publicly admitted was false and sought later to ask for everyone's forgiveness). Some time had passed and TLOPO came along. I therefore approached TLOPO much in the same way because of @JDP insistence to utilize mostly ex-TTO players. Understanding the "hacking/stealing" problem, DDoS, and RAT Keylogger attacks running rampant amongst the TTO community, I pressed TLOPO much the same way (here) understanding the implications involved towards the potential of such things entering our own ex-POTCO community. Not too long after that, some conflict arose to which I took offense to and publicly voiced my opinion about it (again, most of that happening here).

When this forums decided to merge with TLOPO, I made the decision to step-down due to my own research pertinent to hacking, Disney's terms, POTCO terms, and both copyright and some trademark law. Nevertheless, I have tried to remain a part of the ex-POTCO community (because nobody should be excluded from not wanting to play TLOPO, right)? Anyway...I congratulate this forums and the success it has made over the years.

"Happy 6th Anniversary," Forums. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a free-to-play player back during POTCO days, it wasn't exactly fun to be. I barely got anywhere with the game's main questline, however I still remember fond memories of the open seas. It was the sailing that got me I think, the ability to jump aboard someone's ship that had all the bells and whistles was really fun. And the share you get of the loot after weighing anchor was always something to look forward to.

Then storm clouds gathered, the end of the virtual Caribbean began drawing closer. I never did like the impending closure, however the free Unlimited Access was pretty decent, I remember I was able to use an EITC weapon of some sort, like a rifle.

Ever since POTCO closed, I moved on, I probably complained for a few weeks but I moved on. Fast forward a good few years and I am here.

I first learnt of TLOPO through it's former name, Pirates Online Rewritten. The community felt more divided than it does now but luckily, TLOPO was merged together and born. This was around the end of last year and I have been following progress ever since.

Being back on the islands during Alpha testing brought back fond memories of those Jolly Roger invasions, now THEY were fun. I just can't wait to return to the virtual Caribbean as a fully fledged pirate and finally start to make my mark on the Seven Seas.

I think I decided to join the forums when I was curious one day, as have never been a part of any forum. I instantly loved the atmosphere here, although I don't come here every day, I check it when I can and it has never disappointed me!

Keep up the good work, guys! :)

Last edited:
It was a cold day in April when I came across the Pirates Forums quite by accident while pondering my joyous time of playing POTCO. I had just sat by the computer when I had the urge to play something like POTCO. I discovered the TLOPO IRC first. Not knowing that the game was making a come-back, I thought it was just a chat room for TLOPO fans like myself. Quickly learning that POTCO was now TLOPO, my interests evolved into joining the Pirate Forums. I knew I had joined the Pirates Forums when I first played POTCO but not for the likes of me I couldn't remember the information. So in turn I made a new account and made myself a pirate on the loveable Pirate Forums. The very loving nature of everyone on the forums helped me understand TLOPO and make me feel welcomed drew me and still draws me to this day to the forum community. The very nature of family comes to mind when I log on and want to be with the friends and make new friends.
Happy 6th Anniversary Pirate Forums and thank you moderators, staff; support and TLOPO; and Davy Darkrage. :bang:

SamMcCloud.jpg

Last edited:
I literally just joined the forum after finding out that POTCO was being resurrected. I played as wee baby when the first one was released, it was actually the first non-flash game I ever tried. Now that I've found it once again I was more than willing to sign up to be perhaps one of the first. I am so appreciative with everybody involved with making this happen and will be glad to become as active a member here as I can.

Smooth sailing gentlemen!

I played POTCO both limited and unlimited access for years on and off and didn't realize that it closed until a few months afterward. I was quite dismayed to hear that it was shut down and never really pursued the idea of a fan remake, but when I looked it up a few months ago, sure enough, it was there, so I joined immediately, and have been hanging around ever since. Very excited to see what the Beta has in store for us, and good work Devs.

I've been on these forums for a little over 3 years already and I'm glad that I am here and apart of the staff. I have been a want to be for a very long time and I'm very happy with where I am now and how these forums has flourished throughout the years I've been here. Thank you so much @Davy Darkrage and @Captain Star for pushing through the hardships that this community has faced. :thanks::crab:

I found out about this forums after i watched the first TLOPO Preview video, I'm glad i joined because within the first few days i met a lot of really nice people and we even started a conversation with our little group, and kept it going for a month until it died. Love this forums because it is the best way to know what is going on with TLOPO and all sorts of other games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back