Votes: 113 33.3%
  • Don't Care.

Votes: 28 8.3%
  • No.

Votes: 198 58.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats not trading. Thats just selling. You are just selling your items to other pirates for just straight up gold. If anything it should just be item for item, so if you wanted that special db vest you can give up another article of clothing or a low tier famed.

Id really hate to see this game with an actual proper trading market. with price guides and whatnot.
But yeah, I just think we should be able to just trade items for items if anything, but probably no legendary because those are special.

In my opinion
Trading is the exchange of something for something else. Gold is an item, it just isn't thought of the same way as weapons and clothes.

I fail to see how say for example someone trading a famed they got a duplicate of vs one they dont have compared to someone buying one off someone for say 200k gold or more depending on its rarity makes any difference in the long run. Gold isn't fast to farm neither is duplicate famed or desirable famed. Henceforth people would just have more control over the items they get and not really get them any faster/slower.

Plus the main benefit of trading would be to exchange ship materials with other players for other ship materials, or for famed weapons, brights or even just for gold. Everyones gotten valueable items they actually didn't need before.

Logic behind it is:

If Famed or Legendary Weapons are tradeable for other items / gold then they would be being traded or sold for their exact coin or item value ingame. Lets say I get Sword of El Patron and its a duplicate. Since its "rare" in peoples eyes I would come up with a figure for it.

So then I go to Abassa Tortuga with a price for it in mind, I go into chat and I say

T> El Patron Sword for Silver freeze or 500k pm me

>This system would balance itself out because even halfway sane players would not part with the truely rare or valueable items without a very large price tag or fair trade for another rare item. Odds are you would never see weapons like Behemoth being sold anyway as its too valueable, and because most people don't get duplicates so essentially they'd only use it on say a secondary character.

Think of it more like cash for gold where you have some very rare things lying around and want to turn them into coins so you can do more with your ship or get a new pirate you made new stuff, etc.

Maybe just trade between your own account? If you get 1 item on another pirate twice you could trade it to another pirate on the same account.

Thats not trading. Thats just selling. You are just selling your items to other pirates for just straight up gold. If anything it should just be item for item, so if you wanted that special db vest you can give up another article of clothing or a low tier famed.

Id really hate to see this game with an actual proper trading market. with price guides and whatnot.
But yeah, I just think we should be able to just trade items for items if anything, but probably no legendary because those are special.

In my opinion

Yeah, you sell one item for gold and then buy another item for gold. You just traded, and whoever had the better item has some left over gold.

Y'know, the same reason money exists in reality - so we're not giving away an LCD TV when we just wanted some bread.

Idk I just think that they are gonna create a strict market where everything has a select price and there is no bartering. There’s no giving you an item that you want for one that I want it’s more like giving something me that I want for like 50k gold and there’s no flexibility or real bartering. IMO

That would be terrible. The community should set the value of the items they want, and open trading is the way to accomplish this.

If they want to force prices up, they could tariff it (seller only keeps a percentage of the gold), or use the "refurbish" system (you have to pay to make an item tradeable), that way the seller would have to hitch up the price accordingly and it would also strongly deter giving away items for free for any reason. People don't tend to like those systems though.

Well I wouldn’t be surprised if you wanted to trade all your duplicates of el patrons because that’s like the easiest way to get the best loot lol.
Implying getting duplicate El Patron's is easy.

Yeah some people out there have multiple, but there's a lot more people out there that don't have any, let alone one!

Tlopo just really doesn’t need trading and I don’t think it does. I was just stating that if it did how I think it should go. IMO legendaries and cursed weapons should not be tradable, and buying weapons for gold doesn’t really seem authentic and takes away the effect and authenticity of looting. IMO

did you know that if POTCO was not shut down they would have traiding in it atm?

Looting is one of the, if not the biggest appeal of potco and being able to buy a legendary that someone else found feels inauthentic.

Theres nothing un-authentic about being unlucky so opting instead to farm say 400,000 coins. And remember, someone still had to loot that item from somewhere, to be able to sell it. There will be much bigger demand than supply.

Theres nothing un-authentic about being unlucky so opting instead to farm say 400,000 coins. And remember, someone still had to loot that item from somewhere, to be able to sell it. There will be much bigger demand than supply.
Also for a lot of people, looting is absolutely not one of the biggest appeals of POTCO/TLOPO. In fact a lot of us hate it, lucky or not.

Also for a lot of people, looting is absolutely not one of the biggest appeals of POTCO/TLOPO. In fact a lot of us hate it, lucky or not.
I think the game appeals on many levels and to say one is better than the other will just open another can of worms.
Anywho, with trading as with anything else in multi-player a designer has to probably think in different levels as well, as in, what's best for the games world at large, how much impact can a facet of play have on individuals as well.

As for trading, does trading, bartering or selling for gold impact the whole game, or players themselves? I don't think any form of trading effects the players as a whole. For instance, If I don't want to spend forever as a single account player to get the mats to upgrade my ship why shouldn't I be able to barter or trade or just outright buy the mats from someone willing to sell them? It's my decision, I'm only effecting MY game. The warnings of "it'll cause a traders machine or full time 3rd party churning gold thing' are irrelevant to the game as a whole. I don't do PVP, should I tell Tlopo to take it away because I think it's not worth it? Absolutely not. Don't do trading because it cheapens the game? I think not.

So what? It's just another fraction in the game, what people do with their loot doesn't effect me whatsoever. Right now tlopo has us with little holding space, no place to put what we'd really like to keep - such as higher weapons and holiday clothes. No banks or personal large chests.

Whether there's a want for a trade system the poll answers that. Whether there's a need for a trade system, selling good stuff for pennies because you don't have the room answers that as well.

I would imagine that you would still need the rank to acquire those items. Some form of a script that says "If player SvS level isn't X, they cannot obtain Y items"

At least that's my two cents :)
I don't agree, I think you should be able to buy higher level items, you just can't use them until you level up to that items level.
The equip level coding is already in the game, no sense reinventing the wheel.

This thread needs to be locked
Jack, you're a good pirate and contributor, but you have a tendency to want threads/topics closed that you don't overall agree with. And that's your prerogative and have the freedom to express this opinion. However.
I think the wisdom of the mods in keeping this open is the wisest decision.

Jack, you're a good pirate and contributor, but you have a tendency to want threads/topics closed that you don't overall agree with. And that's your prerogative and have the freedom to express this opinion. However.
I think the wisdom of the mods in keeping this open is the wisest decision.
Did you seriously just quote a post I made like months ago?

Hey guys, I figured I would just throw my two cents into the whole trading debate, is it a good idea, or a bad idea?

It's a bad idea.

Trading is going to be a disaster. It's a short term solution to a long term problem and will cause people to get bored and stop playing. What was it that made this game so unique that it kept people playing year after year? And how proud are you going to be that you purchased that weapon rather than found it by hard work?

Let's be honest, looting is the primary in-game mechanic that keeps people interested in the game.

I've already talked to SEVERAL prominent looters in the TLOPO community who said they were going to QUIT the game if trading is implemented. One of these people being @Charles Warmonk

ANYTHING that causes this kind of reaction is probably not in the game's best interests.

If they are going to add trading, I at least hope there are restrictions on what you can trade.

I know there are plenty of people who want trading because they've been searching for so long for a weapon or clothing item that they just can't seem to find, and they want to be able to just purchase said item so they can finally have it. Isn't the struggle of looting hours and hours for a weapon most of the fun? That moment when you finally get that prized item you've been looking for, there's nothing like it. The whole concept of looting will be forever tainted if trading is implemented.

I'm not a developer, but I am asking them to seriously think about what would be in the game's best LONG TERM interests. Trading would severely ruin the RNG aspect of TLOPO, some people just aren't as lucky as others, that's just how it is.

As far as the looting community is concerned, if you value the concept of looting and the items that you find while looting, I encourage you not to trade. Looting is about the self-gratification and joy of when you finally find a legendary or a famed or a bright, that feeling doesn't exist if you can just purchase the items instead.
"I've already talked to SEVERAL prominent looters in the TLOPO community who said they were going to QUIT the game if trading is implemented. One of these people being @Charles Warmonk"
Point taken, BUT, you're talking to established players who have looted practically everything in the game 3 times over. They will never agree to give up their bragging rights and elitist aura. What people are contributing now are newer people, who play other games with trading and auctions and like those abilities. And have grown up on those game systems. I get that people are saying what fun is it if you get some hard to get item for just paying gold. I say leave that stress to the people that want to buy and sell.
I don't feel an obligation to every single persons personal plights or worries, mostly because this is in beta. Just include the option to trade or whatever totally by choice and let it live or die on it's merits. You can do it or not. Just like me months ago demanding they devs remove auto cannon control was actually a selfish directive by me. I have no right to demand a change in the game that is finite. So I requested a CHOICE be added so we can choose to stop cannon control if we wish. So, add trading in some form, open to all if they choose to do so. No one is twisting your arm to trade.

Comments that trading will destroy the game are extremely premature and closed minded. A trading system with or without vendors can co-exist and should have a separate chat channel option as well so there's no impact to the other chats going on.

I thought it was a bit ridiculous too. Ignoring that dead end of an argument, you shouldn't be allowed to skip the hours it takes others to put good weapons into circulation when you can just find a guy in Tortuga offering all the best items. It's not that fair to the looters.
"Ignoring that dead end of an argument, you shouldn't be allowed to skip the hours it takes others to put good weapons into circulation when you can just find a guy in Tortuga offering all the best items. It's not that fair to the looters."
Ahh, so the truth comes out 350 posts later, the minority of hard core looters would be offended.

My heart is broken for you. Simple, you hard core elitists just don't ever trade with us nobodies. Problem solved, big tlopo destructive issue solved, total annihilation of tlopo beta world avoided. Doom and gloom lifted.

Disney WAS going to add trade. But since I think Disney wasn't intending to spend any real money on a complete video game commitment, it went nowhere.
Tlopo could add trade because they are trying to advance beyond Disney's movie trailer version of a video game. Disney potco wasn't going to be anything bigger than a cereal box advertising toy.

Yes, because I'm just catching up with the thread.
Have you changed your tune?
Dude I don't even remember why I posted that, It's been a long time. Don't quote old posts. It isn't a good habit. One time someone quoted a post I posted about trading months after it was posted. They lashed out at me for my opinion, yet my opinion had totally changed XD. Just please don't assume that I still feel the same way, I don't remember why I posted that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back