Would you want a Ship of the line as a possible player ship?

Would you want a ship of the line as a player ship?

• Total voters
why does the swift foot potion have very little or no noticeable effect on speed or jumping. The only purpose it serves is that it helps a player level up potions faster because it is one of the easiest potions to make!

why does the swift foot potion have very little or no noticeable effect on speed or jumping. The only purpose it serves is that it helps a player level up potions faster because it is one of the easiest potions to make!
Swift foot has a dramatic speed and jumping boost for me.
Maybe you're not drinking it right?

The only real down side I can think of for the SOTL is the cost for repairs. Brigs are expensive enough to repair, Can you imagine the cost to repair a SOTL? On the up side, Can you imagine plundering with 20-30 friends or guild mates? That would be so Awesome!! A ship that size has got to have plenty of deck guns to be used by the crew.

The cost of repair would be high yes but appropriate the sotl from potco test servers was 12 people but could hold 14 4 in the front 4 in the back and 6 on the deck 7 cannons on each side I could see it having 9 cannons per side cause it's so big if they wanted to they could put 9 but they would have to relocate the cannons plus add repair stations cause let's say you have the sotl the only way to repair it is to use the shipwright ATM the model they had in potco test realm doesn't have repair stations on the ship plus any designs for the sotl would have to be made there are designs for Brigs frigates galleons and sloops but not the sotl I'd imagine the designs would be easy to make since they have one for every ship and the sotl kinda looks like a brig sorta so I mean I guess they could use the war brig design for ship customization as a start and backbone for the start up design to make the ship designs for the sotl idk I'm just ranting tbh just a thought.

Last edited:
There have been numerous threads about this... Sorry to shoot down the idea, but usually the consensus is it'd be too gamebreaking in multiple aspects (mat runs, SvS) that wouldn't make much sense to implement for player usage.

Cool ship though.
I agree, and besides back then pirates could certainly not afford such a ship, way to expensive

Again the ship isn't game breaking at all if its anything its balanced because of the very slow speed.
Well (playing devils advocate here), would SotL be even worth having then, if you can't turn worth a penny, or can't get past 5 knots? War Galleon already takes the cake for awful turning, no need to have another ship that fails miserably at that. Not to mention, the speed would be horrendous. Galleons already take an eternity to reach max speed. Can you picture how long it'd take for a SotL? Particularly if SotL dont have hull upgrades... More than likely, you'd get stuck in a mob and sunk via cannons before even managing to start to speed up. Good luck outrunning the Tally's broadsides in that cinder block...

Doesn't sound like adequate enough reasons to warrant this ship, at least imo, but I already made my point in my post way back in July :p

-T

Well last time I checked its highly awaited by the community and a lot of people want it. it would make a nice looting ship.

So let me get this straight people don't want new content they just want the same boring game potco was I'm already getting bored of tlopo cause there's nothing new the sotl would be a great addition to the game cause it would give me a reason to grind plus we need more ships all I see on the seas are war Brigs the sotl would be fun to sail with your friends plus the sotl is actually a trade off and is balanced not op the speed is actually 9 knots the turn knots is 3 svs for the sotl is like the galleon does damage like the galleon but has guns like the frigate the cargo room is 24 it's decent sailing the sotl takes skill a little bit a sloop frigate and brig can take down a sotl in svs easily so it's not op it's rather balanced because the sotl is a trade off ship your trading speed and armor for turning and broadside damage since no repair stations no healing no healing means sink faster I've seen light sloops take down copperhead Brigs and frigates so the sotl is basically horrible for svs actually it wouldn't break svs at all

so if your still on the side that the sotl is op lets talk sailing terms stat wise for example take a war sloop then take the sotl and compare stats ok. on stats the sotl is the better ship right? wrong the ship of the line is good for side by side combat the war sloop is faster and has more agility so it can handle better than the sotl since the sotl cant heal 20k health for the hull is nothing also if the war sloop is upgraded say to a storm chaser the thunder bolts do what 1.5k damage plus the 400 base from the round shot the sotl round shot is 200 so the war sloop war frigate and war brig all have double that damage lets say the war frigate is a skull n bones the fury shot does what 1.3k providing you have the skill on your cannon max ok what about copperhead war brig does what 3k to 4k damage on explosives so take all that damage in just a few broadsides the sotl is sunk so take the frigate has a handling of 4 the brig and sloop 5 plus skills so the sotl is out classed by three ship types that's saying a lot about how op the sotl is. it be easy to take one down provided you have a good crew now take a streamline galleon or war galleon there actually quite a pain to hit cause they move so fast it makes the galleon a decent svs ship also if you want take the fortune hunter upgrade fire brand does damage over time lets say you have a fortune hunter war frigate it does what about 1k damage plus over time its no contest the sotl would lose a fight against one of these classes on what ever ship you wanted so how is the sotl op i think the ship your talking about are the war ships and hunter there givin a health boost and speed boost so the sotl you think is op is the war ship the player ship of the line is different player ships arent op if you want an op player ship take the war brig and make it a copperhead or skull n bones thats op with its handling and speed the war frigate is a close second op ship

Ok you say the sotl is game breaking ok here's a counter the Tallyho and battle royals I can take down in a matter of secs the sotl is perfectly balanced for svs the sotl take skill to use if you did svs you would know svs is skill based upgrades and different skill setups from different ships all make it a gamble obviously you never touch svs long enough to understand how it works the galleon class is horrible for svs but upgrade it to stream lined or storm chaser and you have a very hard ship to hit the sotl doesn't need upgrades it's perfect the way it is it just needs to be tweaked all I do is sail I know what ships are easy and hard to use Brigs are the easiest sloops are a little more challenging due to the low health ya constantly have to watch what your doing frigates are an intermediate ship a little more forgiving due to the decrease speed and turning speed plus a little more armor and guns galleons and sotl type ships are expert ships they take alot more skill to use so tell me how is it game breaking or not balanced the ship your thinking of is the npc war ships with increase health and faster speed I've taking down many warships or sotls in just a few sec 30 sec to be exact

I'm going to go ahead and place an idea of mine that I had spent a ton of time crafting in here - which I placed on another forum that was posted in regards to the topic of SOTL:
I was actually looking for this thread myself in order to incorporate a possible idea into it and maybe get some responses on what the majority of players would come to think about it.

A little while back I can't remember the specific date - a ton of us pirates took our sails to Kingshead in order to receive the limited time codes that the GM's were passing out. During this time I distinctively remember this one individual pirate repeating the topic of "Bringing back the Ship of the Line". Dispite sounding like a broken record, it made me think for awhile - and after taking some time to think about it I approached @Stephen Teague in a conversation that he probably doesn't remember (considering he's a pretty busy guy).

In this conversation I brought up the idea of having a system where a "guild" as a whole can contribute and maintain their own "Ship of the Line". Upgrades would be completed collectively through donations of materials and gold provided by it's guild members, you could even call it a "guild project" and would require a certain cool down time before being able to set sail again after it's already been used. In SVS, guilds could use their Ship of the Line as a "Trump Card" to attempt in changing the tide of how the battle is going - or perhaps the guild is interested in a giant loot run, in which the Ship of the Line would come in handy there.

I have read a few of the other players responses, but myself personally thinking about every individual pirate having their own Ship of the Line seems a tad bit overpowered, considering the value that ship has under it's name. as @Misha had stated, the Ship of the Line is meant to be "a ship that was designed to be inevitably top tier." Let me know what you guy's think I am interested to hear everyone's views on it!
Although the Ship Of The Line is arguably a very strong ship - and has importance underneath of its name, it's still very possible to make it so that we have a "fair" usage of SOTL, and also prevent it from being a ship that everyone is able to own personally. Not sure if this idea was already talked about before hand but i'll still toss it in anyway.

I rarely sail any more... if sailing wasn't so messed up, new sotl would be great
Ya sorry for getting mad I just want new content sailing is lacking in content which is why potco died no new content and when they started to add new content it was to late potco has over 500k registered players and almost all of them don't play tlopo anymore

I'm going to go ahead and place an idea of mine that I had spent a ton of time crafting in here - which I placed on another forum that was posted in regards to the topic of SOTL:

Although the Ship Of The Line is arguably a very strong ship - and has importance underneath of its name, it's still very possible to make it so that we have a "fair" usage of SOTL, and also prevent it from being a ship that everyone is able to own personally. Not sure if this idea was already talked about before hand but i'll still toss it in anyway.
I would like the sotl to be at least 200k gold to Max cap gold only the people who grind can buy it

I would like the sotl to be at least 200k gold to Max cap gold only the people who grind can buy it
Making it a "buy-able" ship for individual pirates isn't what I was mentioning. I was discussing a way to prevent pirates from buying SOTL individually, and instead making it so that a "Guild" could manage and support "One" SOTL to use it however the guild would then see fit. SOTL is a prestigious ship regardless of how it's seen, and if we all had one it would not only diminish it's value - but nothing would be a challenge at that point. More emphasis towards the "prestige" of the ship.

Making it a "buy-able" ship for individual pirates isn't what I was mentioning. I was discussing a way to prevent pirates from buying SOTL individually, and instead making it so that a "Guild" could manage and support "One" SOTL to use it however the guild would then see fit. SOTL is a prestigious ship regardless of how it's seen, and if we all had one it would not only diminish it's value - but nothing would be a challenge at that point. More emphasis towards the "prestige" of the ship.
Makes sense but all i think if it was put out so everyone could buy one it make it more user friend not everyone wants to join a guild some people like me just wanna have fun with friends I see you point

Some people might also ask, "Well then what's stopping people from making guilds all to themselves, and getting SOTL that way?" - And my answer would be the system of continually giving out the donations would stop people from doing that - because the system (least the one that I'm envisioning) favors larger guilds and requires those numbers to continue funding the ability to have the SOTL.

max gold is very easy to get if you just loot at bosses on tormenta. doesn't take long to get at all.

Ya sorry for getting mad I just want new content sailing is lacking in content which is why potco died no new content and when they started to add new content it was to late potco has over 500k registered players and almost all of them don't play tlopo anymore
tlopo has half that many registered players but yeah, we definitely need more sailing content but i think we could do with some better content rather than the devs just implementing an npc ship for us to own. I still think that the SOTL should be restricted to the navy, EITC and devs to keep it interesting as if its added to the game as a personal ship, everyone would be using it.

The ship is very large and ugly, but if it were to be implemented it would be much better if it was added as a sort of guild ship that a guild could build up and upgrade over time by pooling resources. Would be a lot more interesting and fun. This has been suggested by a few different people including Lord Gold Air above.

As for the lack of sailing content, there's still a new ship type on the way that has been shown many times, the Carrack. And figureheads are in early development as well

Some people might also ask, "Well then what's stopping people from making guilds all to themselves, and getting SOTL that way?" - And my answer would be the system of continually giving out the donations would stop people from doing that - because the system (least the one that I'm envisioning) favors larger guilds and requires those numbers.
So you mean like the top 3 major guilds like having 300 plus members

Back